General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spring Install Labor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:06 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default Spring Install Labor

How much should it cost to install steeda sport springs? Could an average tire shop do it?
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Spring Install Labor

Figure at least $200, yes, average tire shops should be able to do it. Go ask around for quotes, they'll be able to tell you in a second about how much it will cost for them. Figure about a $45 average shop rate, and according to their book, it will take them 4 and a half hours to do.

I suggest doing it yourself, even if you bought the real spring compressors, you'd still be up on money, but autozone might rent them or something.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 AM
wyncameron

I did mine myself and so have many other. I bought the spring compressor for something like $30 or $40. Not too bad of a job if you have a little knowledge. If you want to buy my compressor let me know as I will probably not be using it anymore.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

The shops around me refused to do it saying that it is illegal to change the geometry of suspension on my car bla bla bla
finally I got it done by a ford tech after hours for $200 ( springs,shocks,struts and cc plates)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Funny this topic comes up...

I have a time set up for tomorrow to get my lowering springs put on.. They gave me an estimate of $400 + $45 for a 4 wheel alignment..

Sounds like I'm getting ripped off but I really don't know much about cars or how to do it my self..

If I were to go get a Haynes manual book that I'd be able to do it my self? Also, is anyone able to give me a basic break down of how it would be done? If I were to attempt to do it my self, where would I get a spring compressor?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 04:04 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

The shop where I had my Roush springs done charged me $100.00. DO IT!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
projectstanger

I'm in the process of lowering my brother's 1991 Integra with springs and shocks. I can tell you from experience that if the suspension and the bolts look rusted, it will be a headache taking them off or worse breaking bolts.

If the car's suspension was recently tappered with by a shop (bolts were tightened with a impact gun) it will be hard to take them out by hand.

But if your suspension looks clean and hardly any rust, do it yourself it isnt' that diffcult, really. Remember to grease up the bolts when you put them back in!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Mt Twigbert

Funny this topic comes up...

I have a time set up for tomorrow to get my lowering springs put on.. They gave me an estimate of $400 + $45 for a 4 wheel alignment..

Sounds like I'm getting ripped off but I really don't know much about cars or how to do it my self..

If I were to go get a Haynes manual book that I'd be able to do it my self? Also, is anyone able to give me a basic break down of how it would be done? If I were to attempt to do it my self, where would I get a spring compressor?

Thanks
Umm..you're getting screwed unless the 400 includes the springs. You will not need an alignment after you replace the springs (unless your car is in need of one to begin with). I changed out the struts and replaced the ball joints on my front end a couple of months ago and took it in for an alignment. They said it was all within spec and didn't need it. (I have the print-out too). The key is to not remove the upper strut mounting/bearing plate that is bolted (with 3 or 4 bolts) to the cars fender under the hood. I used my impact gun to simply remove the shaft nut in the center that holds the strut to the mounting/bearing plate.

That and the rear alignment on the car is not adjustable because it's a live axle setup. Then can tell you if it's in spec or not but they can't really do anything about it.

Do one side at a time and you can easily do it yourself. Impact gun is the easiest way to pop that nut off the strut without having to pull the whole bearing plate assembly.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: projectstanger

I'm in the process of lowering my brother's 1991 Integra with springs and shocks. I can tell you from experience that if the suspension and the bolts look rusted, it will be a headache taking them off or worse breaking bolts.

If the car's suspension was recently tappered with by a shop (bolts were tightened with a impact gun) it will be hard to take them out by hand.

But if your suspension looks clean and hardly any rust, do it yourself it isnt' that diffcult, really. Remember to grease up the bolts when you put them back in!
Use penetrating oil (saturate the bolts/nuts) and tap them with a hammer. That will allow the penetrating oil to works it's way down and break up any rust that might seize things up. Doing them by hand sucks! The average torque rating on lower strut mounting bolts s 190ft/lbs to over 250ft/lbs. The top nut that holds the strut to the upper mounting plate can be as high as 120ft/lbs AND if you're doing it by hand, you will have ot find a way to keep the shaft from spinning while you try to loosen it.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:27 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

oh man it's so easy to do your self, Y pay anyone, save the $ and get LCA's and do it all at once.

Quick Reply: Spring Install Labor