General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Absolutely No Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:35 PM
tj_gavin

Default Absolutely No Power

I have a '94 3.8L and last night when I turned the key on, there was a "POP" noise and all of the electricals in my car died. I can't even turn the head lamp on. I'm hoping that this is just a fuse, and if it is, do any of you know which one?

P.S. My battery is only a year old, but it had been sitting for 5 months and had lost its entire charge. I don't think its the battery because I have never had any recent problems and I wouldn't think it would make a "POP" noise.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Absolutely No Power

yeah you probably blew a circuit somewhere, just check your fuse box, it should have a "map" of which fuse is which. check under the hood for burnt wires or anything unusual. check the alternator wires too. did you charge the battery before trying to start it?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:14 PM
tj_gavin

Yes, the battery had been charged and working fine. I just mentioned it because I didn't want to rule out any possibilities.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

I can't find any "one" fuse that would kill you whole electrical system. Even the fusible links only protect the fuse boxes from your voltage regulator. There are some circuit breakers as well, but none seem to be an overall "kill" switch. Has to be a feed wire or ground that "popped". My guess is it's been rusty and/or loose and sitting has aggrevated the problem. You threw electricity to it and it blew. Start at the battery and start tracing wires....
Old 03-10-2004, 05:03 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

nothing smoked? or could you smell anything? check your ground strap to your engine, its hard to say without hearing it
Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 PM
tj_gavin

It was at night so I couldn't see a whole lot, but NO, nothing smoked from what I could tell. Also, I checked for a burning smell and there wasn't any.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:13 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

My only advice is get a chiltons or haynes manual to assist you in your search and start at the battery.A voltage meter will come in handy as well.

Electrical gremlins are a bitch man!I know i have an EXP that has an electrical gremlin that will allow the carto run but then immediately die its had all new sensors and everything checks out but right before i parked it after winter it had a funny electrical wire burning smell but i have yet to find a burnt wire.

Electrical problems suck but stay with it.