General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rattling noise from under car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 AM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

Default rattling noise from under car

hey whats up i have a 94 mustang GT 5.0 and when i start my car, and it idles, there is a sick rattling noise form under ym car, like theres a pebble in my exhaust. some "experts" said it was my heat shield? is that possible? is it easy to replace? hit me back thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 03:06 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rattling noise from under car

That's a real common problem on a lot of imports. Heat shields or just thin pieces of metal that are connected in a few places to your cats and there's a small space between them. When one or more of the connections rust through or whatever it will vibrate against the rest of your exhuast. They're not really neccisary and if you have a loose one you can just cut it off with tin snips.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:00 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

As soon as i read this i knew it was a heat shield my stang did the same.

Just jack it up (AND USE JACK STANDS OR DO LIKE I DID WHEN AWAY FROM HOME FIND A STEEP DRIVEWAY AND PARK HALF IN HALF OUT) crawl under it and they are spot welded on and eith use tin snips (i didnt have in the car) or a flat head and a hammer and tap it off.Its very easy and should only take a few.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

where exactly is the heat shield? im inot the looks, i dont go technical, might need some instructions thanks.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

just pull them off..
Old 03-12-2004, 02:57 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Over the catylatic convertors.And some of those spot welds hold up real well i suggest you take a flat head screw driver of good size and a hammer its much easier to take them off.And you have no risk of getting cut.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:56 AM
james_k_p

Does this rattle happen all the time? I have these annoying rattling/humming sound that comes from around the same spot only when I have been driving around and put the car in park. Once in park, it will start for a few seconds and then it stops, and comes back. But if in drive or just starting the car, I don't hear it. Is this anything like what you guys are talking about?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:00 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

loose metal resonates at certain engine rpms / vibration frequency, its like standing in a bathroom corner humming notes, when you hit a certain note it gets real loud, thats resonating...
Old 03-12-2004, 07:29 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

The heat sheild don't look like anything different then the cats, but there's actually a sheet of metal over the cats, that's what you take off. As for James, yea I'm sure that's a heat sheild too, yours probably is just barely loose that's why it only does it sometimes.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:06 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

i was told there is a heat shield below your cats, to keep the terrain form catchin fire, like grass, then there is a piece of metal over the cats, to keep ur floor from burning, which one do i take off? both?

Quick Reply: rattling noise from under car