General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

newb needs some advices!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 PM
shadowdancer

Default newb needs some advices!!!

i don't know much about cars. actually i am trying to buy my first car now. but i am a little confused about how to estimate the price of a used-car. for common ones i always follow the KBB/edmunds/nada/whateverwebsite so i know how much the car is worth. but how do i know the worth of a heavily modified car? especially for those transmission rebuilt cars. often i c cars with 100k+ miles and engine with 10k- miles and i don't know how much i should pay for it. really need some help. thanks a lot.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: newb needs some advices!!!

Wel, if you put a new engine in a car with 100k+, you still have a chassis and suspension with over 100k on it. Everything wears out, not just the engine and trans. The lower the miles the better. As for H/P cars, you have to know what you are getting into and how well it was done or the engine could be a time bomb. Get yourself a basically stock low miler and go from there, espescially a first car.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

The more mods a car has, the less the value...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:48 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

People who mod, use the mods they put on... most likely tipping off the new buyer that it was driven hard

Unless the engine is blueprinted or comes with a warranty it's the milage on the odometer and the KBB value that you wanna stick to.

Check for signs of repainting, may indicate a crash at one point.
Check for body part alignment and even tire wear. all signs of a possible wreck.
Get down and check for leaky breaks and a dry cleaner undercarriage. moist oily undercarriages may indicate a leak somewhere in the drivetrain.
Check the battery and how the car starts. if it's a new battery it's gonna crank right away... the best case here is to have a older used battery and still have the car start well.
Look for how the doors hang or sag.
Feel the passenger compartment floor for wet spots indicating possible window or firewall leaks.
After starting watch and listen to how it idles and kicks down.
Make sure the temp comes up but doesnt overheat.
Slightly rev slowly and listen for engine stumble. this could indicate fuel pressure problems or fouled plugs, Rings or val seals / guides?
Listen to the enginge idle from the rear fof the car.
When test driving... feelt the tranny shift... smooth? any gear slop?
Before trying out the gas pedal, get into a hard breaking condition and feel how the car stops, straight? pedal chatter? any pulling to one side?
Give it gas, smooth shifts? engine is smooth? sound normal?
Check AC/heater/radio/PW/PS is smooth/wipers/defrost/ test everything from the cockpit.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kriger

People who mod, use the mods they put on... most likely tipping off the new buyer that it was driven hard

Unless the engine is blueprinted or comes with a warranty it's the milage on the odometer and the KBB value that you wanna stick to.

Check for body part alignment and even tire wear. all signs of a possible wreck.
Get down and check for leaky breaks and a dry cleaner undercarriage. moist oily undercarriages may indicate a leak somewhere in the drivetrain.
Check the battery and how the car starts. if it's a new battery it's gonna crank right away... the best case here is to have a older used battery and still have the car start well.
Feel the passenger compartment floor for wet spots indicating possible window or firewall leaks.
Slightly rev slowly and listen for engine stumble. this could indicate fuel pressure problems or fouled plugs, Rings or val seals / guides?
Before trying out the gas pedal, get into a hard breaking condition and feel how the car stops, straight? pedal chatter? any pulling to one side?
Check AC/heater/radio/PW/PS is smooth/wipers/defrost/ test everything from the cockpit.

If you do not feel competetent enough to judge the vehicles condition & you think "that is the car"? Find a reputable shop to take it too & get a second opinion. That compression\leakdown test & $100 or so may save you thousands.....
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM
shadowdancer

thank u dudes
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Tellowman24
2nd Gear Member

not alwats true, my brother has a modded 95 240sx with a turbo kit and he treats it liek gold