General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ripped off by mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

Default Ripped off by mechanic

Hey all,

Didnt know where to vent/put this, so figured I would put it here.

I have had my work done for quite some time by a reputable place in south Jersey... a LOT of work, including new motor, transmission, suspension bits, fuel pump, mass air, clutch, brakes... most of my work, short the blower and wheels and exhaust. Been going there for like three, four years. So when I put the car in for the new motor and tranny, I had to wait eight months for the work to get done, and in that time the mechanic never called me once; turns out he had lost my number. I called him every time. So finally, after eight months, I get the car back, and he says "Your fuel pump is failing."

Of course I am pissed; you had the car for almost a year, couldnt you have told me about the fuel pump BEFORE the day I picked it up? The shop is a solid hour from my house, where dropping off a car can suck (as you need a ride back and forth.)

So I bring the car to a garage near me for the pump. The guy calls me up and says "Listen... the spark plugs you have on here look beat to hell and are gapped to .020... that doesnt seem right for a new motor... and your fuel pump is stock!"

Now... I paid my old mechanic some 350 bucks for a 255 intank pump. So now it turns out he DIDNT do the damn pump?! The fuel pressure had ALWAYS been jumpy, between 20 and 40, up and down, CONSTANTLY, and when I had let go of the gas the fuel pressure would always jump up to 60 after me being off the gas for a few seconds... and my mechanic always said this was normal, blah blah, returnless something, blah blah. Now the pump is a new FMS 255 pump, and the car runs SOOO nicely! Also replaced the plugs with .035 plugs... the car has NEVER run so nice.

So I am a bit pissed at my old mechanic, and wondering; I just gave him 11,000 for a new motor and tranny; did he **** me on that, too?

Any advice?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ripped off by mechanic

I don't know, did he or didn't he? We can't tell you without seeing the car.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:29 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

$$$$11,000$$$$ ..... That thing better run 10's or less...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Why would it take anyone 8 month to do an engine swap? And why did it cost $11,000 for the new engine and trans. If I where you I would get a Lawyer and get some of your $ back and make sure that guys shop is shut down before he screws someone else.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

Ahhh not the responses I wanted!

Okay... the motor looks the damn same to me, but I will look at a picture and compare... there are a few parts definately different, but I dont know if it is really a different set of pistons and ****, I guess...? I'll post a pic or two if I can. It sure as hell doesnt run in the tens, and that is what causes me concern; it maxes out at 400 rwhp, which seems damn little for me for an $10,000 motor and transmission and vortech s-trim... I always thought I was just being pushy...? I have NO IDEA why it took 8 months; the transmission was on backorder for like 3 months or something, and then the engine guy who did the motor (who owns the motor building business) was working on it but taking his time or something... I know, it sounds ****ing crazy. Here is what was tone; new 4.6 long block, cobra crank, manley rods and piston, 8.75-1 compression, rebuild PI heads, balanced, new oil pump, timing chains, and guides- installed new t-45 transmission, 42lb injectors, sct chup and custom dyno tune, alm driveshaft, 12 psi for vortech s-trim. Did I totally overpay and I am just not noticing it?!

Ahhh not happy at all with this. At least the car runs real real smooth right now.

Oh, btw, BraMas, you and I have the same rims Are you happy with them, or do you wish they were a bit more Torque Thrust looking?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

I'm really sorry to hear about that... I think it sucks when mechanics take advantage of people... He definetly got you, probably the same motor, you can run up to 15lbs on a stock bottom end, and not to be a smart *** but why would you do port work to stock heads? A set of aftermarket heads will out flow ported stockers for sure... I'd definetly look into what this guy did, that's not right... I would do some research before you do any more work to your car so you can atleast have a clue what's going on... Stock bottom ends can handle atleast 450RWHP, and I don't think T45's have ever been on back order...Good luck in the future...
Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

OK with a new supercharger I guess it would get expensive fast. I agree there is no way a T-45 would be on back order for 3 month. I would think twice before going back to that shop again. I think they took advantage of you by taking 8 month. Yes I love the rims except for when it comes to polishing them spent 3 hours doing that last night [:@]
Old 04-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

The blower was already on the original motor, sorry, the way I posted it made it sound like it was new; I just put that there so people could judge about the 400 rwhp. I wont bring the car back, ever, clearly. I am wildly annoyed, I have to admit, assuming something fishy is going on. I figured a new tranny (this one is a heavy duty tranny, but the make escapes me) is like 10-1500, then labor... another 6 for the motor... thats already like 7500... then 2500 for labor and the chip and all that other stuff for the new motor? Where am I off? My old guy said the car was limited to 400 rwhp because I hadnt done the fuel system, except the pump (or so I thought!) and the injectors... but not the lines or anything... and this was the safest tune. Am I way off?

Goddamn I need a good shop in northern NJ.

About the rims, I havent kept them in that great shape; as long as they have a lot of rubber on the back I am satisfied Can you recommend a good polish dude?

*sigh*

Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Okay..... I got a buddy going through this same awful mess. You really whanna know what you got? Find a reputable shop. Talk to them about what it'll cost to completely tear it all down, check everything\every tollerance, note the type of parts used(stock or aftemarket), note everything\keep excellent records, & then they reassemble or do more work according to what they recommend or you want done. You pay for thier work \inspection, they have a nice professional list of everything wrong, & an estimated cost for the work they inspected. Now, you get to decide if there is a need for litigation or not.....
Old 04-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch

I'm really sorry to hear about that... I think it sucks when mechanics take advantage of people... He definetly got you, probably the same motor, you can run up to 15lbs on a stock bottom end, and not to be a smart *** but why would you do port work to stock heads? A set of aftermarket heads will out flow ported stockers for sure... I'd definetly look into what this guy did, that's not right... I would do some research before you do any more work to your car so you can atleast have a clue what's going on... Stock bottom ends can handle atleast 450RWHP, and I don't think T45's have ever been on back order...Good luck in the future...
Up to 15lbs on a stock bottom end and 450 atleast to the wheels? Are you getting confused about something? 15PSI would give you a good reason to get a 6k loan from the bank for a new motor. A stock bottom end on a 2v can handle 450RWHP at the absolute most before you are playing with fire.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by mechanic