General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 NEEDING HP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 AM
yoboy_05

Default V6 NEEDING HP!!!

I have a red 2000 v6 mustang that I got for my 18th birthday last year, sort of. I still pay half, but I am still happy to be the owner of it. Now I have been saving up money and I have $1,000 to invest in more horsepower for it. I don't want to upgrade to v8 for insurance reasons but if somebody could list ideas and possibly cost aprroximates, that'd be awesome. I would definately have to take it in to a shop to be done since I'm mechanically impaired, so to speak. So keeping all that in mind, please post your ideas and thoughts. Thanks a bunch!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/37192/FBD48011C0D0477492DA48A04A6ED851.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Stang562
4th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 NEEDING HP!!!

get some u/d pulleys, CAI, upgrade the exhaust, and that will keep you busy for a while
Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

JB weld two more cylinders on it.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

IMO your v6 will never be "fast" unless you invest in some Forced Induction. you have 1000K so look into a NOS setup. A turbo system is a bit more expensive but would make faster then most stock v8s
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 AM
yoboy_05

What kind of exhaust would be the best or most recommmended?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

For the money you can't beat Nitrous Oxide. Other mods like CAI & exhaust will give you "some" extra HP, but not even close to what NOS will do for you! Only downside, you gotta keep filling the bottle
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

nitrous!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

IMO your v6 will never be "fast" unless you invest in some Forced Induction. you have 1000K so look into a NOS setup. A turbo system is a bit more expensive but would make faster then most stock v8s
well you can get up to a NPI GT with just bolt ons and gears, but for a PI you need either nitrous or a power pack from super six motorsports that will put you at 280 HP
Old 05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Nitrous. The best part is, you can install it yourself if you've done not much more than turned a wrench and drilled a hole.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

well everyone is talking about bolts ons and such and those are all good and all but with that kind of cash you should do something a little bit more involved. Save just a little more and go over to SuperSixMotorsports.com and buy the Stage3 heads ($1500) and a cam.

If you get the Stage3 Powerpack you can add up to 90hp over your stock 193, so you'll be at 283hp which is more than the GT and is lighter too. You will spend $2350 on this kit with a refundable $250 core charge. Now for everything you get on the Powerpack you can reallu be happy. Tom is a really cool guy, if you call him and talk to him he will probably cut you a deal, we was going to build me a complete 4.3L Stage3 stroker for just under $5000, but then I got my Mach1 swapout and 5.0L stroker kit.

Now with that power pack you can still gain even more power, that power pack doesnt include a larger throttle body, doesnt include a larger MAF, doesnt include a CAI, Doesnt include larger injectors. The TB and MAF are all you would have to buy new (Unless you find one on ebay) You can also get the CAI new on ebay and not have to pay much for it, injectors can be picked up used too. If you upgraded all that as well you could gain another 20hp, you will spend around $600 if you shop wise, I know its alot for not much power but it makes a difference with other mods too.

I you put UD pulleys on, LT headers, 3" exhaust to 3" X-pipe, high flow cats (Or test tubes) to a set of quality high flow mufflers (Like some magnaflows) and then got a custom tune done at say a Diablo Dyno then you could See horsepower in the 325-350 range. Course all of that is going to cost alot too. With that kind of horsepower you will be able to beat most stock mustangs and older cobra's you also run a large risk of breaking your transmission and rear end, not to mention the V6 suspension is not the greatest.

Now another thing you should expect from those horsepower numbers, 350hp is a safe amount of power for the stock bottom end to take, I think SuperSix did 450 on a stock bottom end on a Snail, I think they said they didnt recomend it.

If you get the powerpack stage3 you can save up for 4.3L stroker and make some really good power an a FI setup, do a turbo or Snail. Snail is easier and will cost less in labor to install, though you lose power to drag. Turbo or TwinTurbo setup would be the best way to go because you wont lose power, you can still cruise around and get good economy and have the power when you need it.

The reason why I say stage3 and none of his other stages is because, why would'nt you get the best when you are so close to being able to afford it? If you got something less you would just eventually want to upgrade anyways and end up wasting money. Thats my take on it.

Now for the Nitrous comment. Nitrous is a No No on these engines over 50hp shot, its still hard on them and you can expect a shortened life. In my humble oppinion a 25 shot would be perfect for the car, It will cool the intake charge and promote a stronger burn. These engines arent that high CR ratio so a little shot helps. You need to hide it well though, those cops know what to look for.

Now if you should happen to come into money and be able to do all this at once you also need to invest into a SNOW performance Alcohol injection kit to further keep the intake charge cool and add extra fuel and aid in combustion, they claim a 90hp increase on Cummins trucks at 9psi boost. Just remember when you buy a kit (If it isnt SNOW performance) that you need to keep the pressure at 50lbs MINIMUM below that and the alcohol doesnt atomize correctly and you will be causing more problems than anything else. There are alot of low pressure kits out there.

Always concider smog laws in your area, also concider the interest of the bank you are financed through, if you still owe a large amount you should get it down to a resonable payment so there is no chance of losing the car if you can not pay for it. Owning the car outright is better.

Good Luck with everything, just remember, Call Tom over at SuperSix if you have any more questions.

-Eric-

Quick Reply: V6 NEEDING HP!!!