General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stupid brake ? i think

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:09 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

Default stupid brake ? i think

it all the sudden happened when i was pulling my 94 in the garage, and the brake started grindin as i came to a stop. so i took it around the block, and it kept grinding, or as autozone diagnosiss it as scratching. i immediately pulled it back in thinking it is the brakes about to give out on me anytime. jsut making sure that would be the brakes. i can feel it grinding too on the brake pedal. whats a good price for replacement work?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:14 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: stupid brake ? i think

Are you sure your EMERGENCY BRAKE didnt hang up on you?

If not thing it sounds like your rotors are trashed.Get noew rotors and change the pads.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

my e-brake hardly works, its just there for looks haha, but if i apply the brakes it grinds, i wudnt think the rotors would automatically get trashed, i thought once the brakes start giving, then it damages your rotors. i hope its only the brakes, cuz i heard rotors are $$$$$.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Rotors = Part of your brakes...

The same thing happened in my mom's accord when I was riving it... LOUD scratching/binding noise... like a rock was being pushed against the rotor. Drove around with it for a while and it just stopped 10 mins later [sm=smiley29.gif]
Old 04-11-2004, 07:53 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Sometimes you'll get chunks of material in pads and they'll wear on the rotors. The rotors are attatched to your hub and the calipers press the pads onto it to stop you. Brakes aren't a hard job to do, I wouldn't spend the money to take it somewhere, do it yourself. You should be able to see the rotors through the wheels and the backs from under the car. Check them all for scoring, they should be smooth, if not and they're bad replace them. Don't know what you mean by the brakes starting to give? If your pads are gone, (worn down to the metal) then yea it will trash your rotors pretty quick.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:57 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

brake pads!!!!! Easy to do.... Your rotors can be filed down a bit too make them smooth until new ones can be applied..... Do alot of powerbraking? lol
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

what are the chances that my car could be in the same scenario as ur moms accord acer2428? i dont know much about cars and brakes, so i wouldnt know where to begin by doing it myself, cept if i studied my chilton a bit. so im stuck with driving my moms 73 Mach1 till i can get someone to chekc out my brakes. i guess its not too bad of a deal.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:03 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

o yeah and melloyello, i happened to have a girl in my car that had never really experienced a nice power slide, so i pulled one hell-of-a slide, and a lil after that they started grinding. it was bad *** though.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Brake pads have things called "squeelers" in them now. It's just a little metal peice that squeels whenever you hit the brakes to let you know you need brakes ASAP.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:10 PM
JJ94GT
1st Gear Member

i would say its a squeel though man, it hard ot get into detail about it, its like scratchin ur nails on a chalkboard without the high pitch noise, i dunno. ive heard of the "squeelers" thing b4, and i know its relevant, but its a real hardcore grinding. u ever grinded a chunk of metal or pipe in a electric grinder. thats it, for sure.

Quick Reply: stupid brake ? i think