General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.8-4.6 4v swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 AM
ccs98gt

Default 3.8-4.6 4v swap

ok heres the deal i have found a recently wrecked 95 lincoln markVIII. it was hit in the rear so the motor is untouched. i just happen to know the owner of junkyard where its being held so i can get it real cheap to swap with my current v6. but my question is, is the lincoln conputer tuned the same as the cobra and if not can it be? or is a new computer a better option?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.8-4.6 4v swap

well what year is your V-6, cause it might just be cheaper and easier to go F/I on the V-6

you will need, motor, tranny, motor mounts, tranny mounts, crossmember, driveshaft, radiator and all new accesories, rear end, and update the suspention
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the lincoln Mark VIII is only a 2v!
It's more work, money and time than it's worth.
Your gonna need like evrything off that car including the wiring harness.
You'll have to pull the entire car apart to retrieve just the wiring....NOT WORTH IT.
It'll take you and a buddy all weekend just to get the stuff off, then the same on your car, then fitting everything into place.
It's not like the older Camaro V6-V8 swaps. They were fairly easy, since carburation needed practically no wires.
If you have prior to 96 i would say go for it, but you need smog and emmissions for 96+ cars.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:19 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

A 95 isnt worth it, the 2v wasnt that powerful that year. If you want to do that kind of swap you should go to a 4V or a 2V on ROIDS! Also stay away from those MKVIII and navigator and Intech made engines, they are weak and dont take well to modifications. You can get a 96-98 non-PI 4.6L from a stang for under $1000 bux, and you get the PI for under $1500, Hell I have seen them go on ebay for $400 before, you just have to search around.

Point is, if you are going to do any kind of power building or engine swapping you need to change everything else, basicly concider every V6 related part on that car junk that needs to be sold. Taking a V6 and putting alot of power into it is almost the same as getting a Body in White, its just a shell because everything mechanical needs to be removed and upgraded. Being the V6 I believe you have to upgrade to a Modular K-Member because the V6's are non-mod engines, but I may be wrong on 96+ models, course they could use different motor mounts to be able to use the mod K-Members.

Well good luck

-Eric-