General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0 GT auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
EclipseGST

Default 5.0 GT auto transmission problem

Hello.

This is my first post so hopefully I'm in the right section??

I have just got delivery of my 1994 5.0 Mustang imported from the states to the UK after owning 2 1990 GT's.
But sadly bad bad news [&o] after driving up the motorway for 40 miles it slipped out of gear and would not go back in until I stopped and drove off again, but if I put my foot down to much it would slip out again!!
Also when warm, between shifts it vibrates (like driving over rumble strips)
Anyway it got me home 260 miles driving steady!

Booked into garage today for a fluid and filter change in hope this could sort everything ha! ha! but the garage have just rung me as they found what looks like a mushroom shaped bit of brown plastic (the dome bit with a stem) with a o ring around the dome part in the bottom of the pan!! what the hell is it and where does it go!! I guess it goes into a hole somewhere as it does have that rubber seal?

Being in the UK local garages know nothing about the Stangs!! so it's been left 6ft up on a ramp awaiting any help you guy's can give!!

Worse case is a rebuilt box which is going to cost me $3000.00!!!

Hopefully I have attached the photo ok and you can see the part? if not mail me at JapspeedUK@aol.com and I will mail it to you

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Ki207313519.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Sn422865760.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Ay748541242.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Bw721295631.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2004, 08:27 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 GT auto transmission problem

DUDE I am not sure where that could have come from, cause it doesnt even look like it belongs in an auto!!! that could be the reason for the bad shifting though....... I wish I could help you!!! Sounds like its an emergency but Im an auto runner and have no idea what that is..... Ask GMKiller he runs autos too
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 PM
EclipseGST

Thanks for your input Mello (Your Mustang looks sweet!)
A little more info on this weird looking piece, it is made of plastic and does have a number on it (K351-3 with the number 4 under the K351-3) it also very light in weight.

Also the tranmission fluid is a kind of light brown colour

The vehicle is showing 49,000 miles and does seem genuine, running all stock with Motorcraft service parts (Plugs, wires, battery, etc) so seems to have been looked after

I don't know if this is linked? but the vehicle seems much much slower than my last 1990 5.0 GT SOFT TOP which used to near wheelie off the lights!!! mind you it's been 6 years since then and I must confess to driving a tuned 300bhp Eclipse GST as my everyday vehicle

Just in case there is someone that knows what and where this goes I have attached a photo of the actual sump area of the transmission so you can point out where it may go.

Sorry for the double photo post in my first post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Nl300559979.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6209/Id975697792.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-14-2004, 01:56 AM
bossman351
2nd Gear Member

Dont freak out. this is a plug that is put into the tranny on the assembly line. When the dipstick tube is put in it pushes the plug into the bottom of the pan. It is harmless and has nothing to do with your problem. It sounds to me like you have a slipping tranny. You might try an additive or something to get you by but it kinda sounds like a rebuild is inevitable.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:09 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bossman351

Dont freak out. this is a plug that is put into the tranny on the assembly line. When the dipstick tube is put in it pushes the plug into the bottom of the pan. It is harmless and has nothing to do with your problem. It sounds to me like you have a slipping tranny. You might try an additive or something to get you by but it kinda sounds like a rebuild is inevitable.
i wondered what that was for.......
Old 04-14-2004, 02:22 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bossman351

Yes this is CORRECT it is also unfortunately a sign that this car is still running original trans fluid.Its not uncommon to find these and trust me has nothing to do with your problems.You most likely have a transmission thats about gone.Its in serious need of a rebuild.Also while its there and you have nothing to lose look up the correct specs for that year of AOD on the TV cables line pressure it could be in need of adjustment as well.

Also brown trans fluid is a sign of burnt clutches and burnt fluid this is not a good sign.It needs a rebuild im sure.But try the TV cable adjustment.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
EclipseGST

Hey guy's

Thanks for all your input, glad to hear the bit I found is nothig else to worry about, I've just informed the garage who are now putting the sump back on.

Gutted to hear I need a tranny rebuild, here in the UK it's gunna cost a rip off $2800-$3000 lets hope the engine is good otherwise the bargain I thought I had will end up costing a fortune, it's a good job I've owned american vehicles for 12 years now and never had any major problems until this one, otherwise I could have been put off for life.

Thanks again

Shane
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 AM
EclipseGST

I've searched but not found anything ref TV Cable adjustment, does anybody know how and where this cable adjustment can be found?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:08 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sure do! I have an 1988 AOD and I think the procedure is similiar for a 94, but the 94 has an AODE which has some computer controls that the AOD doesn't have. look on the passenger side underneath the throttle body where the accelerator linkage connects to the throttle. next to this is another cable, this is the TV (throttle valve) cable that connects to the transmission and controls the pressure in the tranny with changing throttle postion. The linkage is held in place by a plastic grommet which you need to be careful not to break, but carefully pop the cable loose from the linkage with a flat bladed screwdriver. Once it's loose, you will see a small white rectangular thing about 2 mm x 3 mm. this is the lock that holds the adjustment in place. take a knife or sharp scribe and make a mark on the square rod to show where the adjustment is now so you can go back to this mark if the adjusment you make doesn't improve anything. then, using a small screwdriver, from underneath push up on this white thing and it will release the cable so it can be moved back and forth in the bracket. pulling the rod forward toward the radiator will increase the pressure in the tranny and moving it back toward the firewall will lower the pressure. once you make the adjustment, push down the white lock to lock it in place and carefully push the linkage back up into the plastic grommet that locks it onto the throttle linkage and you're finished. increasing the pressure will make the tranny stay in a gear longer before it shifts up to the next gear, especially at wide open throttle (WOT). I adjusted mine as far out as it would go and still allow the white peg to lock in the cable and at WOT, it will stay in 1st and 2nd gear until 4,500 rpm before it shifts up to the next gear making for a much more fun ride.
If it ain't too late already, please make sure the shop changes the filter and fluid on your tranny before you get it back. Fresh fluid and a clean filter is a must! They should also drain the converter if it has a drain plug, not all do however and flush out the cooler and lines to and from the cooler. The top line on the right side of the tranny is the pump line out to the cooler and the bottom line is the return from the cooler to the tranny. Take both lines loose at the tranny and use an air hose to blow out the lines and cooler. stick the open return line into a bucket to catch the fluid as it comes out and look at it good for debris and other stuff. If you find a lot of small metal particles and shiny stuff, then the clutches and bands in the tranny are probably worn badly. A rebuild might not be needed, you'll have to judge this for yourself after you get it back out on the road.
you can get more help and prices on a rebuilt tranny from www.lentechautomatics.com. I don't know about the shipping and customs duties, but maybe you could import a rebuilt one cheaper than you could get that one repaired in my opinion. Last year I bought a rebuilt racing tranny with a new torque converter, SFI flexplate, and a full manual valve body from Art Carr Performance Products and didn't pay but about $2,500 US for the whole thing with a special deal they had so the converter was free if I bought the tranny. I would check out www.artcarrperformance.com and Lentech before I spent any money to get yours fixed as you may be able to save some money by buying one instead of rebuilding the one you have now.
hope this information is useful to you! Happy motoring mate!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
EclipseGST

Thanks for that info roundmanracing I'll have a go at adjustment tomorrow morning.
I got the Mustang back today with new (correct) fluid and new filter, but sadly they just dropped the fluid and old filter and fitted the new stuff and did not blow any pipes through or anything.
However they said that a lot more fluid came out then went in, so it appears it was overfilled and never changed since 1994 (What does the tranny hold, it took 5 litres to fill it?)
I've only driven it 2 miles home since I collected it, but it seems more responsive and more acceleration, I'm gunna take it out tomorrow for an hour and see if any of the original problems are still present (fingers crossed) it's ok but I'm not holding my breath as luck seems not to be on my side this year.

Thanks once again guy's I'd be totally stuck without all your help and info

Quick Reply: 5.0 GT auto transmission problem