General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Good pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

Default Good pedals?

I've been practicing heel-toing but it feels like my pedals are a bit far apart even for my wide-azzed foot. Is this just a technique issue? (in that I'm mistaken on the technique to use) Or would anyone recommend a good set of aftermarket pedals that remedy the problem?

Assuming the former. (I'm using the left/right edges of my right foot to modulate the brake and gas pedals respectively)
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Good pedals?

Hey Rook...
As the name states, you have to use your heel on the brake and your toe on the gas!
I wear a size 12 and cannot successfully use the heel/toe on he Stangs. Something just doesn't fit right for me. You may be on the right track of looking to replace the pedals themselves.
Let us know what works!
Good luck,
Troy
Old 06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

Well how much gas are you supposed to be able to modulate? I'm assuming not WOT. I dunno, maybe it's me or maybe it's the car but something about the action just feels really unstable. Welp....time to look for pedals. Poor credit card, ya barely stood a chance.[X(]
Old 06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Rook...
Ya, it does feel a bit strange at first...well, always really with the mousetwang!
You will get used to it if you practice. Yes, you should be able to modulate all the way to WOT. You place your heel on the brake pedal in about a 45 degree angle and reach your upper foot (toes) to your gas pedal. You really kinda just 'roll' your foot around the pedal to feather in the gas. If you plan on any SCCA (even SOLO II) I would suggest a pair of racing shoes. They look like (cough) ballerina shoes! Ya, I am sure that they really are MANLY!!! But they really do help with the feel..and you don't slip off as easily.
Good luck,
Troy
PS. Practice in areas that you don't mind running through! LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
ying.yang.gt

Technically it should be; heel on gas and toe on brake. it's a more natural position and gives you better control...... just my .02
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I use the inside of my foot on the brake and my toe on the throttle.....have been doing it that way for years.

It was harder on my '03 GT than any other car I have done it on because of the stupid height difference in the pedals.

There is a simple mod you can do to bring your gas pedal up to be even with the brake.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: ying.yang.gt

Technically it should be; heel on gas and toe on brake. it's a more natural position and gives you better control...... just my .02
Good luck with that.

There are aftermarket adjustible pedel kits that will make it easier for you
Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
orange04
2nd Gear Member

wtf is this used for? manual tranny guys?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orange04

wtf is this used for? manual tranny guys?
Yeah, usually for racing applications but it's very much convenient in the street. Allowing you to match revs for a downshift whilst under breaking.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i wear a size 13 shoe, and i can heal-toe smoothly. just practice. old beat up shoes work better, because you can feel the pedals easier.

Quick Reply: Good pedals?