General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help: Wash Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
eastcoaststang

Default Help: Wash Suggestions

What do yall use to was your cars. I just got an 86 gt and it needs a little wash and wax. What's the best wax to use. - Thanks

Luke
Old 06-10-2006, 01:37 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help: Wash Suggestions

I use the turtle wax soap, and Meguiars Wax. If your paint is looking rough you might want to hit it with a Meguiars Clay bar and then wax it. Just do not wax your car in the sun, and the golden rule for waxing, alittle bit goes a long ways.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:35 PM
hwest
1st Gear Member

I agree pretty much any car wash out there works really well as long as you use a sheep skin mit or something soft to wash your ride with. Remeber to keep rinsing out your rag/mit frequently as not to drag a lot of dirt/oil all over your car's paint. Make sure to rinse really well and if you can help it try to dry your car in the shade. The synthetic shamois work a whole lot better than the real ones. After a good wash I would suggest using a clay bar to remove any impurities, water spots, and anything else that may still be on your paint. make sure you lube your clay bar well. I suggest using like a mist quick detailer. As far as waxing goes I prefer to use 3-M's 2 step wax. You can view my posts all over this forum and I suggest using nothing else. It is a bit expensive but NOTHING else comes close!! Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:39 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hwest

I agree pretty much any car wash out there works really well as long as you use a sheep skin mit or something soft to wash your ride with. Remeber to keep rinsing out your rag/mit frequently as not to drag a lot of dirt/oil all over your car's paint. Make sure to rinse really well and if you can help it try to dry your car in the shade. The synthetic shamois work a whole lot better than the real ones. After a good wash I would suggest using a clay bar to remove any impurities, water spots, and anything else that may still be on your paint. make sure you lube your clay bar well. I suggest using like a mist quick detailer. As far as waxing goes I prefer to use 3-M's 2 step wax. You can view my posts all over this forum and I suggest using nothing else. It is a bit expensive but NOTHING else comes close!! Good Luck.
Tell me more about these synthetic chamois... i presently use thr real ones... [sm=pimp.gif]
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM
hwest
1st Gear Member

Yeah sure man, you can buy them at Walmart or whereever. It's just that with a real one if not properly cared for they crack and dry out of which they will over time anyway. The synthetic ones are a fraction of the cost and not to mention they soak up almost twice as much as a leather one. The ONLY disadvantage I have come across with the synthetic ones are after about 6 months or so they may start to break down a little and leave small tiny pieces of it on your car. This only seems to happen if the chamois is dry and you rub over a real dry spot. Not a big deal they only are about $5 at the most and they dry so much better than the real ones. Try it out, if I'm lying then your out $5 but I bet you'll love them.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:55 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hwest

Yeah sure man, you can buy them at Walmart or whereever. It's just that with a real one if not properly cared for they crack and dry out of which they will over time anyway. The synthetic ones are a fraction of the cost and not to mention they soak up almost twice as much as a leather one. The ONLY disadvantage I have come across with the synthetic ones are after about 6 months or so they may start to break down a little and leave small tiny pieces of it on your car. This only seems to happen if the chamois is dry and you rub over a real dry spot. Not a big deal they only are about $5 at the most and they dry so much better than the real ones. Try it out, if I'm lying then your out $5 but I bet you'll love them.
Is that what they are called, synthetic chamois? an would autozone have em?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:16 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Autozone has them. I use one too, I just bought it too save money and I love it. I've never bought a real one so I can't compare.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

Autozone has them. I use one too, I just bought it too save money and I love it. I've never bought a real one so I can't compare.
I have to check em out... God knows im at autozone far to much...
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i use Pantene Pro-V shampoo as soap for the wash.

used to use meguiars NXT wax....started using the Black Magic Wet Shine or whatever its called...it got the highest rating of all the waxes tested by consumer reports. and it does leave a nice gloss that lasts for a decent amount of time. i love it.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
hwest
1st Gear Member

Yeah Autozone has them fopr sure. Just look near the chamois and you'll see 'em. They usually come in like a plastic tube all rolled up. As long as it doesn't say genuine leather chamois on it you should be straight.

Quick Reply: Help: Wash Suggestions