General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jacobs ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:30 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default Jacobs ignition

I like what I've read about them and they seem like good systems, but then there's those people who say they're junk or whatever but I can never really figure out why. I'm so lost on this since everyone seems to have one extreme or the other. Anyone who's used one have opinions?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Jacobs ignition

I put one on an 83 Jeep CJ-7 that I had a long time ago. It cured the rough idle. But that was because the original ignition system was a plain carburetor set up.

I was impressed with the plug wires though. I replaced the skinny cheap wires with the 9mm wires from Jacobs and gapped my plugs way over spec. If I remember right, the spec was something like 0.045 and I set mine to 0.060. The difference was very noticeable. Faster revs and a lot more pull. It made sense to me. Better wires, less resistance, more current to jump a wider gap, hotter spark, better ignition.

At one point I removed the Jacobs Ignition thing but left the wires. That's how I noticed the benefit of the wires alone.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:38 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

So the wires were nice and I'm assuming you liked the ignition as well?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:54 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

I put the ignition module and the wires on at the same time and I was impressed with the difference. But at one point, I removed the ignition module and expected the Jeep to be slow again. Nope. It still pulled when I stomped on the gas. So I concluded that the wires were making the difference. Eventually, I left the ignition module off because I solved the rough idle when I sorted out and replaced the vacuum lines.

In short, I wasn't really impressed with the ignition module, and the wires made a heck of an improvement.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Go with a good st of wires,like the spiral wound MSD's or Blue Max.However you go, get a low resistance wire,measured in ohms per foot.Lower is better.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

so it's not worth it to get an igntion? just get a nice set of wires?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:58 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

I'm not saying the ignition module is crap. It may work for you. In my experience with an 83 Jeep CJ-7, it wasn't worth it to me. I doubt I'd spend money on it again. The wires were good though.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

yes it is worth it as it will aid in a big way to better combustion due to more fire on the secoundary spark
Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Sounds good, I'm gonna look more into the jacobs but I've also been looking at the accel 300+. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Vert ( Keenan ) Do they sell wires for my 4.6?? I havent checked out there website yet. I gotta get wires, i have a hesitation at high RPM. Im going with coils and wires. But im just as lost as you are. I wanna do MSD wires and coils. But i heard Jacob was nice

Quick Reply: Jacobs ignition