General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help me decide on engine to use

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
HYPEracing
2nd Gear Member

Default help me decide on engine to use

I have a 1983 mustang GL notch back, and i really want to put in a 302 based 347. the problem is that i am looking at a great deal on a 4 cam late 90's 4.6litre cobra motor, tranny, and all electronics. it runs great but the car does not drive, and its CHEAP, like silly cheap so its a very likely possibility. tell me what you think
Old 06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help me decide on engine to use

Your poll doesn't work. My vote is for the 4V motor. If you dont buy let me know I might want it.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 PM
HYPEracing
2nd Gear Member

any one else
Old 06-24-2006, 03:02 AM
alexr
★★★★★

how cheap is real cheap?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Keep in mind w/ the mod motor you'll have to get a new k member and whatever else it takes to make it work [BUT that would be pretty cool]. You won't have to change much to make the 347 run like a champ...just upgrade your fuel components.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't put a DS* engine in a lawn tractor. Just my "first hand experience" .02 worth.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

347 is a bolt in deal. All the electronics easily work and so does the fuel system..
The Mod motor can be done but it looks like a huge project to me........
Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM
HYPEracing
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the input guys, a little more information for you to go on here. teh car right now is a stripped shell, my plans for it are to put in 1993 side windows, front and rear bumpers and all lights. i already am planning on changing out every part of the front suspension including the Kmember. as far as the fuel system goes, there isnt one right now, but i am planning on getting that aeromotive kit that has the tank, lines, pump and regulator all together.as far as wiring goes, no matter what i get for a motor i will need all the engine support systems, sensors, and wiring. so thats not a big deal either. i guess in the long run i really want to put 500 lbft of tq at the wheels, and what ever horse power i end up with when i get to that TQ number. as far as real cheap goes, im looking at $400 ~$500 for the entire car. i cant use the independant rear suspension, or any of the body cause thats all trashed, but i will get two complete engines, transmissions, and all the wiring for two motors. he has a parts car that he bought off a guy that wrecked it and didnt have enough coverage to pay it off, so he paid him next to nothing for the parts car, but there is no title, then he wrecked his car and had no collision insurance on it, so that one he is trying to decide if he wants to fix it or not. if he decides not to then for like $400 to $500 i get both cars. but like i said both bodies are CRAP, and both of them have absolutly no front suspension that is any good, and i really cant use the interior, or rear diff setups. so i might have parts available when and IF i get them.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:44 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What year Cobra are you going to be able to get for 400 to 500 dollars? Unless it is a 99 or up it doesn't have a IRS anyway.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 AM
HYPEracing
2nd Gear Member

its a 1996, and i thought that all cobras had IRS, o well, looks like i may be able to use the rear end after all. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: help me decide on engine to use