General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

retitle a car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 AM
copracr
1st Gear Member

Default retitle a car?

I'm not sure where to post this, so dont get mad at me if i did that wrong.
I have a mustang with some minor front end damage and blown airbags. the insurance company salvaged it and my buddy sold it to me real cheap (i wanted the engine). but now i'm thinkin that some new airbags and and a few hours on the front end and this car is ready to go.
So does anyone know what all i'd need to fix before i get this inspected for a rebuilt/salvage title? do the airbags have to be replaced, or can i get some covers? do i have to fix the front end completely, or just so it looks nice?
I'm not going to sell it until its a piece of junk anyway, so i don't care about resale, or legal stuff. I just want to pass an inspection.

any help?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
silversol81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: retitle a car?

I'd call an insurance company or a collision shop and ask them. They'd know the answer to that question. Good luck to you.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

yes, you can re-title a vehicle... you would have to check with the state where you live... a lot of people do what you are talking about here where i live... but remember, the ins. company totaled the car for a reason... they will always take the cheapest route... Dont replace the airbags... just glue the covers back in place... just my .02
Old 07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: copracr

I have a mustang with some minor front end damage and blown airbags. the insurance company salvaged it and my buddy sold it to me real cheap (i wanted the engine). but now i'm thinkin that some new airbags and and a few hours on the front end and this car is ready to go.
So does anyone know what all i'd need to fix before i get this inspected for a rebuilt/salvage title? do the airbags have to be replaced, or can i get some covers? do i have to fix the front end completely, or just so it looks nice?
I'm not going to sell it until its a piece of junk anyway, so i don't care about resale, or legal stuff. I just want to pass an inspection.

any help?
Kind of contradict yourself there or just added confusion...

Are you keeping the car for yourself?
If you are, then you're asking what needs to be done to pass an inspection right?

Check with the insurance company on that one. No need to waste time/money on something until you know what needs to be done. You will probably need new air bags as any safetly device installed in the car needs to be fully functional again before insurance will allow the vehicle to be covered.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:28 PM
copracr
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: copracr

any help?
Kind of contradict yourself there or just added confusion...

Are you keeping the car for yourself?
If you are, then you're asking what needs to be done to pass an inspection right?

Check with the insurance company on that one. No need to waste time/money on something until you know what needs to be done. You will probably need new air bags as any safetly device installed in the car needs to be fully functional again before insurance will allow the vehicle to be covered.
just added confusion. i am keeping the car for myself and i dont care what having no airbags would do to the resale value.

I did find out though, you can just replace the covers on the airbags and not the airbags themselves. or you can buy delete kits. but you can not just leave them open. also, they dont care about MIL, abs, or airbag lights.