General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got a Question its Weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:49 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a Question its Weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my intake gasket set done, Ive made sure things are tight and good, I decided to take my car out for a good drive, Lets to get the point, it was a fairly warm day out, I shut my car off went into the store for about 5 mins, came back out and when I was trying to start my car it wasnt really hard to start the engine it was cranking it was a dead battery, I got a new battery, 1 month old not sure about the starter, And this gets weird, I noticed the next morning I when out to start my car, Its like there no problem, started with 1 turn with the key she fired up, I am thinking the starter is getting to hot from the engine heat, Not sure if I need a new or rebuild one need little help? common problem with others too?
Old 05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Got a Question its Weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what year your stang is, but I will respond as if it were an older engine. If you removed the intake you had the distributor out. If the initial timing is a few degrees to far advanced it will crank ok cold and try to kick back on the starter when it's warm. Just a guess.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:48 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

its 83 stang 3.8L. The timing is set right on the money, It just started doing it, Its just seeming when the engine is at it normal temp, I thinking heat in the engine department is causing the starter to have a tough time cranking, she will crank though, any other ideas would be gladly be wanted

thanks
Old 05-17-2004, 04:54 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I think your starter is giving you some early warning signals that it is about done and it needs to be replaced. Listen to it before you get stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a dead starter.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: roundmanracing

I think your starter is giving you some early warning signals that it is about done and it needs to be replaced. Listen to it before you get stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere with a dead starter.
Agreed. When the starter itself begins to go bad (not talking about the solenoid or gear) they start drawing excess amperage. The most common symptom is drawing excessive amperage when hot. If your on the cheap you can take the starter off and carry it to a parts store (like Advance Auto for example) and they can bench test it to determine the amps it draws. Tell them to keep testing it, and as it gets warmer it will probably start drawing more.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:24 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys thats right on the money my starter is starting to use high amperage, I am getting a new one installed