General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

convertible top dont work!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 AM
gnats39

Default convertible top dont work!!

i have a 1993 stang and the top wont move up or down? i have replaced the motor, i checked it for power got that. i can hear the solenoid engage when i move the switch. but thats all. i dont hear the motor turn but i have good power supply and ground, what am i missing? please help i did change the motor like i said cause the dealer said it was bad but this one is doing the same thing. is there a procedure for bleeding the lines or anything> thanx Jay
Old 05-24-2004, 10:49 PM
albo99

Default RE: convertible top dont work!!

My sister has a 90 convertible and the top motor seems to have died. How hard is it to replace and where is it located? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Turtle

I am not sure if the top motor is the same as mine (84'). I had the same problem. What I found was that the relay switch has a different power supply than the "big" wires to the top moter. So I would hear a click but no motor. At $35 apiece for the relay switches (of which there are two) I thought that it would be a good idea to trace the wires first. I found that the power to the motor was not working and it wasn't the relays, so the relays would click but the power wasn't even getting to them, so it was before the relays. You should be anble to use a simple circut test light or a Fluke to find out if you are getting power to the motor. Another thing that might be bad is the fuse. I am sure you have already checked that but I have a tendancy to forget the simple things. I hope that this was a little help. Sorry it is confusing.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:09 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

So you replaced the motor for youre rag top? This is what I would do, Ive fixed tons of these problems, If you got a multi tester gauge it makes things a lot easier, 9/10 if you rag top fails its you switches that are hooped, Motors usually last for awhile, Unless you run them to the ground, Back to the multi tester if you got one, while you push up or down plug the 2 probes into each slot if the meter digits go up and down the motor dont move youre switch is hooped, Now for youre trouble shoot youre motor just get a piece of wire like speaker wire preffer 16-18 gauge 10-20ft, have a buddy hold one end of the wire to the positive post on youre battery, then you hold the other wire to the power wire to youre motor, if the motor isnt shot, it should move up and down, If its doesnt move up and down its fried!!!!!!!!. I got 1 last tip for ya, Make sure all connections are tight clean, dry, If water gets into any of the connections it cause alot of problems. Its common problems Ive found with power window door switches and motors.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2004, 02:57 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

make sure the handbrake is on
<wink>