General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keeping a car looking new...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:18 AM
stewnstang

Default Keeping a car looking new...

I just upgraded from a camry LE with 140k miles, to an 06 tungsten grey mustang, premium with the pony package. (pictures to follow) It's my first new car ever. Today, twice people yelled "nice car" to me as I was driving around Santa Monica. I'd like the calls to continue, and judging from all of the photos on these boards, there are lots of people who are talented at keeping their cars looking top notch. Any advice on good/bad products and other do's/don't's would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to take the car to hand wash only places (I'd wash it myself, but I live in an apartment building and don't have access to a spigot) and I've armed myself with some armor all products for the interior, glass, and wheels.

Guess I'm obsessing about this right now, because I bought the car on Wednesday - have parked only where there was no car on either side - and then some high functioning imbecile dinged my door while I was in the store today for 10 minutes. I refer to Mr. or Mrs. Imbecile as high functioning because they had the presence of mind to flee without a trace.

Sorry if this isn't what's considered a tech question (I'm new here, teach with a light backhand) but I figured it would be the right spot because there were other appearance threads (striping, badges, grills, etc.).

Old 07-24-2006, 04:43 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping a car looking new...

I use "303 Aerospace" in place of amorall, cheaper and I've heard that it's better. Make sure that you don't have your car washed in the sun and that it is hand dried (letting it evaporate will cause spots which contain minerals that will scratch the paint). I ordered some microfibre waffle-weave towels out of hawaii, suppposed to be the best. Definitly use tire shine as bland-looking tires kill the look of a nice ride. Make sure that you wash it at least once a week, diffrent chemicals in the rain, tree sap, bugs, etc. will eat through your clear coat if left untouched. Waxing makes all the difference in the world, I use Meguires Gold Class Clearcoat Wax, it works wonders. In any case make sure you uuse a "clearcoat" and not cheaper "grainier" waxes that can leave marks. I think that there arre a bunch of featured articles in the Detailing Forum. Another good site to go to is "autopia.org", they specalize in car apperance, but to apppeaze the moderators this site will probably offer you all that you need in the Detailing section.

Best of Luck,

~Orion6g
Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

always keep your car clean. The minute you let it go for a few days the dirt starts to build up and then it gets harder and harder to get clean. Keep it in a garage as much as possible and always keep a good coast of was on, if your car is always in the sun make sure its waxed good.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

You're definitely in the right direction for interior, glass, and rims. I've used Armor all on every car me and my dad have had, and they've always been good to us. For those purposes only though. My routine is using Meguires Gold Class carwash soap with a special hand shammy thing, and using that new ICE stuff from turtle wax as my spray-on wax. It made even my old black Cutlass with swirl marks look good. Every so-often i'd use the ICE liquid polish to restore any lost shine over the past several weeks. Whatever you do though, don't go with Meguires spray detailer. I don't know about anyone else, but IMO it's horrible. ICE is so much easier to take off and shines like no other, for only a little more $$ than Meguires spray.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

i think ICE and spray detailer are two dif. types of animals

as for the ICE, i use it as well.....and its extream ease of use makes it unbelievable
Old 07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

is there any type of wax made for just black cars to restore the black paint? I think my paint may be fadeing.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
dirtystang04
2nd Gear Member

Stewnstang - don't feel so bad, on the way home from the Dealer when i bought my car it had 6 miles on it. I stopped at the local Best Buy and parked in the farthest spot away from the store AND i was up hill (to avoid runaway shopping carts). No more than 10 minutes later, I returned to my car to find a nice chip taken out of the front fender from a door. I guess it goes to show that you can't have anything nice because no matter how hard you try, people are ignorant. On another note, good luck with the stang! Treat her good and she'll treat ya' good right back..
Old 07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Armorall wipes FTW!!! Excellent on interior.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

i think ICE and spray detailer are two dif. types of animals

as for the ICE, i use it as well.....and its extream ease of use makes it unbelievable

What i meant was the ICE spray detailer. They have a hand wax stuff then they have a spray detailer for in-between quick waxes. I agree though, it's amazingly easy. They even give you all you need to do it, how easier could it get.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Remember, it's the polish that makes the car shine, not the wax. Select a wax of your choice. But use a high end polish for best results. I use Zaino polish for my midnite blue Saleen, and it is very effective.