General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mr. Clean Autodry

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mr. Clean Autodry

Some of the $0.25 car washes have a "spot free rinse" cycle. Same thing. Soft water.

I hope you get more than one use on that $20.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

With the initial filter you get 3 washes, but the replacement filter get you 10 or something. It's a little scam they've got going on, but it works really well. So it's worth it.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

If the filter on those is just like the one in a water softener for a house, then you might try soaking and rinsing it in water with salt. In home water softeners, salt is used to breakdown and rinse away the minerals that the filter collected. It's like recharging your K&N.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Thats actually not how a water softener works, there aren't any filters in a water softener. Water passing through the mineral tank loses positively charged calcium and magnesium ions to negatively charged plastic beads. The salt in the brine tank is used to clean the mineral deposits off of the plastic resin. What actually makes the water soft is the minerals being removed from the water itself.

In the auto dry...The filter is a reverse osmosis system. Which is a lot harder to explain, but the bottom line is don't clean the filter with salt. It can't be cleaned, and you'd just be spraying salt water all over your car.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:47 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I know multiple people that really like it, I've thought about getting one too.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6

Thats actually not how a water softener works, there aren't any filters in a water softener. Water passing through the mineral tank loses positively charged calcium and magnesium ions to negatively charged plastic beads. The salt in the brine tank is used to clean the mineral deposits off of the plastic resin. What actually makes the water soft is the minerals being removed from the water itself.

In the auto dry...The filter is a reverse osmosis system. Which is a lot harder to explain, but the bottom line is don't clean the filter with salt. It can't be cleaned, and you'd just be spraying salt water all over your car.
Why thank you Dr. Sidewayz
Old 06-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Steuben02

Well, I think I'm definetally gonna have to try it. It would have to work pretty darn good for me to make the switch, because personally I don't find drying the car myself to be too big of a pain in the ****. I use a thing called the 'California water blade', which is a squeege-type thing with a purple handle and soft plastic tip that wicks the water away from the car. It works great.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:50 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I just usually use the eagle one wet wax and dry with my chamie (know that's not how you spell it but drawing a blank) so I havn't gotten around to using it yet.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I use regular car wash and this super-absorbant towel thing, I can dry my entire car perfectly before i need to wring it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Why thank you Dr. Sidewayz

I do what I can...[sm=smiley2.gif]

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Autodry