General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

DISTRUBITOR INSTALL

Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
86 project

Default DISTRUBITOR INSTALL

HOW DO I INSTALL A DISTRUBATOR IN A 5.0 WITHOUT HAVING THE OLD ONE OR MARKS TO GO BUY??
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
dirtysanchez
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: DISTRUBITOR INSTALL

hey, i just replaced the distributor in my 5.0 too. now i dont really understand your question. if you are having trouble figuring out what distributor you need, then just tell me what year your car is and i can look up the part number for u.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

ouch well that sucks, you lost your cylinder numbers? ouch time taker! Well you have to trace back and find the iginition wires from each cylinder, than a mech. book will tell you where the cylinder location are on the distributor some distributors tell you where to wires go on it for example it will say 1 for cylinder 1 etc etc im not familiar with the 5.0's but anyways, than you install it than you have to adjust your timing thats where it gets tech. well good luck hope i helped

ORIGINAL: 86 project

HOW DO I INSTALL A DISTRUBATOR IN A 5.0 WITHOUT HAVING THE OLD ONE OR MARKS TO GO BUY??
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

First thing you need to do is get the engine on to TDC.

Remove the #1 spark plug (front of the engine, passenger side).

While hand cranking (no starter...battery should be disconnected) the engine clockwise as you're looking at it from the front of the car, place one finger over the spark plug hole for #1 (you may need help or long arms).

When you feeling the pressure rise, watch the timing marks. When the pointer is at 0*, you're at TDC.

Now it's a matter of just dropping in the dizzy. If you want to line up with a factory mark on the cap, rotate the rotor just past (clockwise, IIRC. You'll find out soon enough if you need to be CW or CCW) that mark and set the dizzy in the hole. Otherwise, just drop in the dizzy and mark where #1 is. Make sure the dizzy body is seated flush with the block. If it won't go down, mark where the rotor is and bump the engine. You'll stay in time and it may be enough to drop the dizzy all the way down. You should know the firing order, but it's 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Just a tip: If you place the timing marker at 10* BTDC (or the initial timing you're going after), and then rotate the body of the dizzy in such a way that the contact on the rotor is just touching the contact in the cap, you'll be pretty much on time when you start the engine.

ORIGINAL: 86 project