General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cooling Issues

Old 06-14-2004, 10:20 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cooling Issues

putting a pusher fan will help...but a 3 row is needed or a alum rad... MD is right on with the 180 stat buy a hipo one from mr. gasket as it has a bigger ofice..also try a bottle on redline water wetter and a 50/50 mix of 'freeze/water..as for the switch you need a 20 amps switch so it won't melt also put an inline fuse(20amps) between the switch and fan. it would help if you had a thremostat for the fan to come on at 190..while you have the stat out run water thru the engine to get rid of some scale and rust. a good set up is to have 2 fans with stats to turn on at different temps
Old 06-15-2004, 04:51 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Dude you should be running a 4 core rad for max cooling, And hook up a set of 2 fans on youre rad that should cure youre heat troubles.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

only bad thing with the 4 core is alot of fans won't work with space issue..a 2 row alum would be best but there are other ways to get where ya need to be..
Old 06-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

I just want to be able to run around and not overheat when at the track or in traffic.

Also, that Royal Purple stuff, can you just add it to the current antifreeze/water?
or do you have to drain it and add some fresh stuff with that added in
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

id try flushing the system out thermastat and some cooler anti freez. and see how that goes thats the cheep way. you might not need all those fans. u might just need a good fushy.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Think I'll do that tomorrow before i go to the track then.

What antifreeze do you suggest, or is Antifreeze antifreeze.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 AM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

water keeps the car the coolest but dosent prevent against corosion and rust so check out royal purple its called purple ice. just do a search on it. you will find it pritty easy. i think its a 50 / 50 mixture of this royal puple stuf and water. good luck
Old 06-16-2004, 02:33 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

oh
so that royal purple **** IS the antifreeze
gotcha
thought it was just an additive.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you're only overheating at the track, buy a small garden sprayer that holds about a gallon of water and pumps up so you can get a fine spray out of the nozzle. Between rounds, spray down the radiator with a fine spray of water and let it evaporate to cool off the coolant in the radiatior better than just running the fan. don't spray anything other than the radiator and the water pump so you don't get a bunch of water all over the motor. this way the water will evaporate and not cause you to drip water when you go up on the line to race. if your fan is on a switch, then spray the rad with the fan off and then turn on the fan for a minute and turn it off. then spray again and turn the fan on again. this will cool your car off much better than the fan alone will do. just make sure to run the fan when you are pulling into the lanes to dry up the water so you don't drip any. you will be surprised by how much better this cools off your rad.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

round..yep works good I also used a big ole fan we bought at sam years ago....I also pack my intake with ice on the street I use a cool can

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling Issues