General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my car sounds like a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

Default my car sounds like a diesel engine

So i was the track 3 nights ago and I had a .1 rt with a 2.0 60' and I was really exited that I was doing so well that I forgot to shift into 4th gear. It wasnt until I hit the rev limiter (7k) that I realized that i really messed up. Anyway I made the shift and ran a 13 but i noticed my cel was blinking for about 30 seconds. I got really worried and shut the car off to let it cool. I didnt run for the rest of the night but now im noticing thatat idle and between 1500 and 2000 rpm that i can hear a clicking noise coming from the engine that resembles the sound of an idling dielsel truck. I was used to some lopeyness because of the stage 2 cams but this sounds slightly off. what could it be?

edit: i also hear when i shut the car car off, as the engine slows and stops turning, the clicking gets slower and then stops.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my car sounds like a diesel engine

Well I know i posted this this morning but As I was driving home, I came around a corner and gave it some gas, as soon as I let up, I knew something was very wrong. The noise had gotten very loud and then whole car was jerking around. I pulled over and had it towed to my performance shop. The tech guy told me that he pulled a code for a misfire in bank 5 but that bank 5 looked perfect. the oil looked perfect too, he mentioned that it could be a bad rocker arm (upgraded rockers are $100 a piece[:@] at least I dont have a 32 valve motor) or it could be an exploded clutch Im hoping its the clutch -best case scenario.

I have to mention that the tow guy was able to load my car onto his flat bed --very impressive considering that the last guy couldnt do it because its too low. He was really cool, asking me about my car and stuff. When we were loading it up some a**hole in a shelby replica drives by, throws us a rev and takes off like a rocket. a ricer in a shelby... who would have known?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I was trying to think of what it could have been... a flashing CEL is never a good thing and usually means something very bad. I'm not still not sure what gave out, but it almost certainly sounds like something gave...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:26 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

could have fried a spark plug or a coil... usually a flash is for a misfire
Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

well after the flashing cel i did notice a small ticking that didnt really get any worse, that is until yesterday when it got really really bad. the flashing probably was from a misfire because the tech guy said he pulled a code for a misfire in bank 5 but when he looked inside, it looked perfect. hes checked 4 of the 8 plugs so far and they all look perfect.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Flashing CEL's usually indicate a massive mis-fire.

You probably destroyed a plug or 8.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: metaldrummer

well after the flashing cel i did notice a small ticking that didnt really get any worse, that is until yesterday when it got really really bad. the flashing probably was from a misfire because the tech guy said he pulled a code for a misfire in bank 5 but when he looked inside, it looked perfect. hes checked 4 of the 8 plugs so far and they all look perfect.

better check the other 4 LOL.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

well considering that this motor is brand new (1 1/2 weeks old), im praying that all i need is a new box of spark plugs. what worries me is that the tech guy doesnt know whats wrong, and he knows his stuff. i mean, he even said that hes afraid to start it up because hes never heard a car make this kind of noise unless its getting ready to/has thrown a rod [:@] at this point im beginiing to consider myself luckey if i have to pay $1600 plus labor for new rocker arms []
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

hell if thats a brand new motor it shouldnt have thrown a rod. Who built it? The rev limiter is supposed to keep the motor from self destructing, not help it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

AMP built the motor. Im running 12 lbs of boost -if i hit the rev limiter, the ecu cuts fuel momentarily, 12 psi @ 7k rpm running EXTREMELY LEAN = missfire/detonation -not good.

Quick Reply: my car sounds like a diesel engine