General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

Default Please help!!!

I just bought my first Mustang about a week ago. It is a 99 GT. It was love at first sight. I now know why Mustang lovers are what they are.

I am wanting to do some mods but with the new payment money is an issue. I have been looking a CAI systems and was wondering what is the best to put on my GT it is a manual transmisison. Any info would be great......thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Please help!!!

If money is an issue, then getting bang for your buck modifications is what you need. In that case, forget CAI's exist and start with a set of underdrive pulleys, non-piggy back.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I agree... if money is an issue, you're not really going to be able to gain much HP. Perhaps it would be better to get some gears instead. It's not really adding HP, but it will make it feel stronger You should be able to get them from anywhere between $100 and $200 depending on where you go. After that, the UD pulleys are a great addition. Also change out your exhaust and then think about a CAI like you said... But for noy, you can remove the silence and get a high flow filter like K&N.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

so for now just get the K&N filter and not the whole system?????

are the gears pretty easy to install???
Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you've never installed gears, then i recommend either going to a shop or having a friend install them that knows what he is doing. Fairly easy but if you mess it up, you could end up with some problems down the road. Shop around and you should be able to get them installed for $100 - $300. I know thats quite a range there, but it really depends on the person doing them.

Air filter is cheap and easy. X-pipes or H-pipe would help with exhaust but costs a bit more too.

What's your budget? How much did you plan to spend on mods over the nexr 3 months? That may give us a better idea of what we have to work with.

As far as bang for your buck..or something you can actually feel right away... gears are the way to go... but then you get into teh whole 3.73 vs. 4.10 debate
Old 08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

yeah I have seen the debate about the ratios on the gears a lot. After reading other posts it seems that gears are the way to go. I think for now I will get the K&N air filter. With my budget (which is realy tight....sucks being poor) I can prob spend maybe 200-300 a month on mods. I dont mind saving as exhaust was going to be my next buy. I know a firned whos dad has a shop and im sure I could get them installed for cheap. What are some reliable sources to buy gears from. Waht is the price of the gears.

Thanks for the help. You guys are very helpful.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

for the underdrive pulleys. which ones do I want?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: leglocking101

for the underdrive pulleys. which ones do I want?
Get some used Steedas, they will never break, and I sold mine for more than I paid for them. Just keep checking eBay. CAI cleans up the engine bay, but it doesnt do anything else.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

Just put in a K&N air filter last night. Feel no diff.....Is there a way to mod the air filter even more???

Nest I am looking into the underdrive pulleys. I have looked at Steeda brand (seems reliable)

After that I think I will go with the gears. What is a good brand for gears????

Thanks,
Old 08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind that with the minor / cheaper mods you aren't really going to feel much of a difference, if any at all. Most of the smaller mods (like messing with timing, CAI, UD pulleys, etc) only add around 6 HP or so (give or take a few.) Modding isn't cheap

But you will feel the difference in the gears. Just go to summitracing.com or even eBay to find some. I went with Ford Racing performance parts.