General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Convertible Tops

Old 08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
pork
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible Tops

Took delivery of, and have put about 400 miles on my 07 Convert. Premium GT package, White, with Med Parchment top & leather interior, auto trans, 235/50/ZR18 tires and 18" polished wheels, Interior upgrade, satin aluminum panel & Shaker 500 radio/CD.
Didn't come with the convertible boot (another $160) or a front license plate bracket (required in Ohio). No pics yet because it hasn't set still long enough to be photographed.

Haven't ever owned a new convertible and have a couple of questions.

Leave the top stowed (down) or put it up at night and back down in the morning. Leaving it down all the time would seem to put permanent creases and wear marks in it. Putting it up every night would stretch it back out but puts wear and tear of the up & down every day.

Any particular product to use on the vinyl top to prolong it's use.

Dealer said no need to feed the top into the compartment as I'm putting it down but it's a pretty tight fit at one point and seems to work better if I get out & tuck it in as I put it down.

Any other constructive convertible top advice appreciated... Love the car
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Tops

I would think to keep the top up ant night and if you can keep it in a garage.
Congrats on the purchase, have any pictures?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Tops

Yea you shouldn't leave the top DOWN for long periods of time, so I've been told. Sounds like the top is pretty much always down during the day for you? Then cycling it up/down once for overnight really isn't a problem, but yea I try & avoid cycling the top any more than necessary. If it's up & I'm going on a pretty short drive then I wind up up leaving it up in times like that.

As for top maintenance, I've heard of stuff called "ragtop" it's a liquid you can apply onto the top to keep it looking good, look for it in an upholstry shop. Do not I repeat DO NOT put ArmourAll on the top!!!!

Good luck & post some pics!