General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

is squeaking suspension normal on mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 12:20 AM
imdrew

Default is squeaking suspension normal on mustangs?

Hi,
Im 16 years old and I think we found my first car. We test drove a 97 automatic with 75,000 miles, and a 98 manual with 81,000 miles, both are V6. We first drive the 97 and noticed a constant squeaking noise possibly coming from some part of the rear suspension. We then drove the 98, and heard a similar squeaking, this time coming from the front. Is this problem normal for these cars? Would it be a simple fix? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 06-26-2004, 01:39 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: is squeaking suspension normal on mustangs?

I dont know if it is a normal thing but my car sure does it. If you get a new exhaust you will never hafta hear the squeak. haha.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 AM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

you know i think ford dosent care about this squeek cause everyone hears it but them. i have an 04 and my rear squeeks sometimes when i hit bumps. i took it to ford and they said they couldnt hear it. so they couldnt fix it. its not like a rock like the comercial says.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Yep, mine does it. I'm pretty sure it's pass. side rear... Annoys the HELL out of me. It does it even over the smallest bumps, potholes, dips in the road. it's gay b/c you go by w/ this sweet car and sweet (magnaflow) exhuast, but ppl can still hear that damn squeak!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
imdrew

yea, thats how these cars were. The smallest bumps made it squeak, so it was practically a constant noise...
Old 07-08-2004, 02:23 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

it's the sh*tty rubber bushings on the rear control arms. a freind of mine has the new Trick1 By Dugan Racing 5e suspension setup with urethane bushings and has very little squeeks, but it still squeeks at times.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 AM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Yeah man, my front end does it for obvious reasons... when I put my new bushings and endlinks on them, I greased the hell out of them and they still squeeked. My rear end (being stock) even squeeks when I go over small bumps as well.

But yeah, the problem would be easy to fix... it's called synthetic grease - or just replace whatever is squeeking.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
EmptyEvergreen
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a late model issue to me, i dont have any problems with squeaking and also no squeak is normal there is something that needs to be fixed
Old 07-19-2004, 10:59 AM
96VTGT

i just picked up a set of polyurethane lower control arm bushings... assuming i grease the hell outta them... does that mean i might be able to at least reduce that friggen annoying squeak?? hehe
Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Mine has had sqeeks and clunks, of course thier fixed now, but the squeeks were from thestock control arm bushings (replaced with aftermarket units with grease fittings and no more noise, and the clunking was the aftermarket cat-back hitting a control arm when I went over bumps - the aftermarket units cured that problem as well.

Quick Reply: is squeaking suspension normal on mustangs?