General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

borg 5 speed, how much can it take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 AM
kalebiscool

Default borg 5 speed, how much can it take?

okay, i have a 1962 fairlane that just wont hook without major rear end surgury and i just really dont want to hassle with that so i am buying a 88 fox body 4 cyl car to put the motor in.i am led to believe my current C4 will not bolt in without a different length driveshaft.being as funds are low already and i need the car as a daily driver i am going to just use the stock tranny for now.heres my question,i have been told the car i am buying is a 5 speed which i belive all of them were borg warners.now i dont have any numbers on the motor but i would guess around 320 rear wheel hp and probly only about 300 torque.thats extremely conservative.i also shoot 150 to it.now i understand i probly cant shoot to the new standard.how long will this tranny last after i hook the car up?i turn the motor about 7000.lol also conservative .....depends on whether im ahead or not.well you fox body guys tell me what u think?

thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
plazma
1st Gear Member

Default RE: borg 5 speed, how much can it take?

Well the stock 5spd will hold up to alot if your nice to it. I've seen cars running in the 10's use it without problems. I've seen other die behind lightly modded cars because of driver. Mine is working fine when not being raced.

Also I doubt the driveshaft is much different but you didn't get to specific on you combo. I know a c-4 behind a 5.0 in a mustang has the same length driveshaft as a 5.0 with a 5spd.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you're really nice to it, it would probably hold up. Problem is, your 302 won't bolt up. It shouldn't be more that about $100 to alter the length of the driveshaft. But, you do need the tranny in place to know how long of a shaft you'll need...

ORIGINAL: kalebiscool

okay, i have a 1962 fairlane that just wont hook without major rear end surgury and i just really dont want to hassle with that so i am buying a 88 fox body 4 cyl car to put the motor in.i am led to believe my current C4 will not bolt in without a different length driveshaft.being as funds are low already and i need the car as a daily driver i am going to just use the stock tranny for now.heres my question,i have been told the car i am buying is a 5 speed which i belive all of them were borg warners.now i dont have any numbers on the motor but i would guess around 320 rear wheel hp and probly only about 300 torque.thats extremely conservative.i also shoot 150 to it.now i understand i probly cant shoot to the new standard.how long will this tranny last after i hook the car up?i turn the motor about 7000.lol also conservative .....depends on whether im ahead or not.well you fox body guys tell me what u think?

thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
kalebiscool

thanks guys.i guess ill just use my C4 i think i have a shifter for it somewhere.i also have another C4 yolk somewhere.ill just have drivetrain speicialties cut me a shaft.