General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking Air Conditioning System

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking Air Conditioning System

Yes R12 is more efficient.I think it costs alot more now,however.If there isn't any dye at the condensor connections or hose connections,accumulator etc. then for the age of the compressor it may be at fault.Usually they become noisy if they start to fail.Give the area around the compressor a good cleaning and then see if the Dye returns.If you can't find a leak any where else then you have narrowed your search down to the most likely culprit.Check around the shrader valves since they can fail easily.Since a gas canleak out without taking alot of dye with it(unless it's under pressure),sounds as if it's a slow leak.Still it could draw off enough R12 to make your system inoperable easily within 24 hours.I hope it's only something simple.If after you give you compressor a good cleaning(remove all the oil on the cover)and the dye dosen't return,then it's something else
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM
grandmaster1188

i have a 2001 v6 mustang and my ac works just fine for the most part.. however when i do run it the carpet on the passenger's side gets wet. I can see where the leak is comming from and i dont think its the heater core. I was told by a mechanic that it could be a blocked drain. I tried sticking a hanger through the drain but it felt solid as if there was a closed valve... does anyone have any suggestions?

ps... how do i start my own topic/thread?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Ask your mechanic to unclog it if you aren't having any luck.It shouldn't be too clogged up.On the other hand give the carpet a day to dry.You may have unclogged it.If the problem however is your heatercore leaking you will smell antifreeze and you windshield will get misty on the inside.It can dampen your carpet as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Mr. Bones

Regardless of whether there is any other leak, the compressor has to be replaced. It still has r12, and by the time I add up the cost of a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and the cost of evac and recharge, it's only a little bit more for the shop to do the whole thing. I could buy the equipment and do the r134 conversion for about the same price, but that's not going to happen now for a number of reasons. I could wait until next summer, but I'm in Phoenix so I'm going to need ac for at least another two months.

Mr. Bones
I wouldn't bother converting it over to 134a. I would keep the 12 system and use a subtitute called Freeze 12. I have been using it for years and it works as well as the old 12. Just some food for thought., Another thing I would do is replace the compressor only and save your self some money. If the system was working well before, there's really no need to replace good components. Now if your compressor had locked up, then I would recommend the extra parts. But it seems in your case that's not whats happened.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
grandmaster1188

does the drain have a valve on it to stop water from leaking out while the car is on? also does anyone have n e other suggestions other then a hanger to unclog it?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

There isn't a valve.You problem is that the water that is coming from your evaporator is supposed to exit from beneathe the car.like an eavestrough on a house...It is plugged up(the hose has dirt in it.)Therefore it is backing up the water(condensate).It is overflowing into your passenger side.If you can't do it yourself with any problems a mechanic would probably do it , for 15 bucks.If you do the wrong thing and poke a hole on your evaporator(unlikely but not impossible)it will be alot to repair.