General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need to get some HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:42 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Need to get some HP

Hey Guys,Im new to this Chatboard and I have a 2001 Mineral Gray GT with an Automatic Tranmission I know it Sucks But I was looking to increase my HP to around 300-320.And Im not sure where to start I know that Underdrive Pulleys are a No! I am on a budget and want everything to work properly on the car Can somebody help me out to Start?

Phil
Old 07-04-2004, 02:49 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need to get some HP

Why are pulleys a no?
They free up a nice amount of HP for the money

And are you talking RWHP or Flywheel?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:41 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Well you have an auto so it will be really hard if not impossible to get 300-320 hp without a blower. If you look at my mods in my sig below, those got me to 275hp at the wheels and if I remember correctly 325 at the Fly wheel. It pretty hard to get a 4.6 to push out 300 hp with just simple bolt ons. You will have to get into the engine and do stuff like cams and port the heads and get bigger valves.

And WHY are pullies a no? Obvisously you have been misinformed about them.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:27 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

Theres really is no correct answer as to where to start, but I will suggest that you start with your exhaust system. Get yourself some longtube headers, either an off-road x-pipe or a x-pipe with highflow cats, and a catback system. For x-pipe I recommend Bassani and for your catback I recommend Magnaflow. I don't really have any suggestions as to what company to buy your headers from.

Other than that you can get rear gears (doesn't add HP but improves acceleration), underdrive pulleys, CAI, so on and so on...

Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Hey Guys Thanks for your help if u have any more Suggestions please tell me

Hey guys the pulleys I heard they reduce your acessories does that mean you A/C or CD player does it make you loose some capablity to use those what does it affect Im just going by what I have heard I plan on doing a Steeda Timing adjuster and a K/N Air Intake System 75MM Throttle Body a Exhaust system just dont know which one to use I want a Deep Argressive tone with out the Drone and Interior Renisance at Highway Speed any Suggestions? And a Cold Air Induction does anybody have and Estimates What Kinda Horsepower thos will be pumping out?
Thanks alot guys
Old 07-05-2004, 12:27 AM
95SVTconv

Default RE: Hey Guys Thanks for your help if u have any more Suggestions please tell me

the thing with underdrive pulleys is that they will make your accessories run slower if you put a big load on the alternator. i.e. driving at night with the a/c on, wipers on, radio cranked and so forth. Just like with anything thing else you cant always get the best of both worlds.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:36 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Hey Guys Thanks for your help if u have any more Suggestions please tell me

NEVER AT ALL had a problem out of mine and I run the A/C and the raido all at the same time, espically when it rains. Go ahead and invest in them... good HP for 150.00 bucks!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:26 PM
95SVTconv

just because it didnt happen on your application doesnt mean it wont happen on his. Buy em and try em. Its only like 8-12 hp anyway
Old 07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

LOL... Steeda and March pullies are the best you can buy and NEVER once has anyone on this forum complained about the pullies causing an undercurrent situation. Thats why I said they are a really good invesment *Newbie*
Old 07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

LOL... Steeda and March pullies are the best you can buy and NEVER once has anyone on this forum complained about the pullies causing an undercurrent situation. Thats why I said they are a really good invesment *Newbie*
I got steeda's (better than March in most people opinion) and have had no cooling, charging, or AC problems. I've even jacked my timing and still have the stock t-stat and have never had a cooling problem - and I live in south GA so if I don't then I don't see how anyone can.

Exhust, CAI, and pulleys are pretty common beginner mods that work well.