General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

changed gas cap CEL still come on

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default changed gas cap CEL still come on

I have had the CEL on for a long time now... The guys at Auto Stoned read my codes and said it was something with emissions systems related to the gas tank. A mechanic also told me to change the gas cap.
I have changed it and re set the light twice by disconnecting the negative battery term for a few hours once and overnight the 2nd time.

My H pipe goes on tomorrow so I really need that light working right to tell me if my MIL eliminator work

any ideas gang ?.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: changed gas cap CEL still come on

Well, had the H pipe done today but the darn light was on anyway so I don't really know if my mil eliminators are doing anything ? []
Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Help fellas - please [][&o]
Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

It could be one of the Evaporative Emissions Control System (EECS) hoses.
Can you smell gas anywhere around the car?
Inspect each hose coming out of the charcoal canister for kinks,cracks,or splits.
The purge valve assembly could be busted(I don't know where it is on my car but it's under the fuel pressure regulator in the Haynes manual) so test it with a short length of hose.You can blow through the hose and very little air should go through,if you have a vacuum pump you can pull a vacuum on the valve and if the vacuum leaks off in fewer than 20 seconds it's defective.If it does hold vacuum,apply battery voltage to the purge control solenoid and see that vacuum is allowed to pass through the system.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Man !! Great info. I'll look for the canister and check everything.

I did smell a little gas when I shut off the motor today but I think it is because I have a new H pipe with no mil eliminators.
I think that makes it run rich and retarded timing. The smell was more like unburnt fuel
Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

You could rule out unburnt fuel in the exhaust by going to the back of the car and smelling for gas while it's running.
I'm a big fan of shop books,they don'tgive all the info you need but they sure do help.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Slightly off topic .. Right now I am rather confused as to wether my motor is running closed or open loop and resulting in rich, retard condition.

My off road H pipe just got installed today unfortunately my CEL was already on due to one of the above reasons ( yet to be determined)

On top of all that my alternator is going [:-]
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thank you sooo much for pointing me in the right direction.

I found what my manual calls the Canister purge regulator. It is a C battery size solenoid that opens/closes vacum to a small hose.

With 12 V applied this thing worked sometimes, others it did not. I wacked it with a hammer handle after I removed the rubber sleeve, then a sprayed some nut buster inside and around the metal can edge where it crimps the plastic portion of it. Seems like it drank it all.

It will not work for long but it was working when I installed it back on the car.

So far no CEL

I'll buy a new one

What is the other smaller thingy that the hose leads to, This one has a 3 wire connector ( ?)