General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 AM
chirp_5957
2nd Gear Member

Default boost problem

i have a 89 probe GT that is turbo charged...and when i give it full throttle and the turbo charger kicks in, i get this extremely LOUD blowing sound...and as soon as i let off it smells horrible like exhaust or burning something...and i just wanted to see if any of you guys could help me

thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: boost problem

Sounds like an Air leak.... but than again i dont know much about turbo's but id check that out, sounds logical
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 AM
chirp_5957
2nd Gear Member

would u have any idea where it could be leaking? to me it kinda sounds like its by the throttle body but i cant feel any air
Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

are you talking about an exhaust or intake noise
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 AM
chirp_5957
2nd Gear Member

k heres what happend...i was drivin around kinda drivin hard steppin on it and all a sudden this huge *** noise happens...like i dont know a PSSSHT thingy and i didnt know what it was and i kinda thought my radio did soemthin but then it kept doin it and it is constant but its really loud when i kick the turbo in.. and when its idling i can put in the clutch and it will stop hissing...
i do not know much about forced induction..so i dont know if the exhaust smell is part of the turbo or if i F*cked somethin up drivin too...

but the sound seems to be comming by the front drivers wheel...but it also kinda sounds like it right by the throttle body
Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 AM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Post this in the Pipes Boost and Juice section. Those guys will know whats up
Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

do you have an air filter for the incoming part of the impellers on the turbo? Ive heard of things going into the impellers and ****in things up, but thats real iffy, i would start it up go under the hood and give it gas (just lift the throttle back on your intake) than you will be right there to better hear a possible leak, try that repost once you have done that and we'll check other things out, And if you really need help ill have my uncle get on this thing and help you, he is A+ when it comes to turbo's and s/c's but he will prolly make you make a video of the problem but let me know just trying to help you out i know how it feels to be saying WHAT DID I **** UP its a bad feeling but repost once you have done it

Edit: where is your turbo located?? also does it sound like you might have an exhaust leak along with the loud hissing of the turbo problem???
Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
chirp_5957
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Anthonyandmarisol

do you have an air filter for the incoming part of the impellers on the turbo? Ive heard of things going into the impellers and ****in things up, but thats real iffy, i would start it up go under the hood and give it gas (just lift the throttle back on your intake) than you will be right there to better hear a possible leak, try that repost once you have done that and we'll check other things out, And if you really need help ill have my uncle get on this thing and help you, he is A+ when it comes to turbo's and s/c's but he will prolly make you make a video of the problem but let me know just trying to help you out i know how it feels to be saying WHAT DID I **** UP its a bad feeling but repost once you have done it

Edit: where is your turbo located?? also does it sound like you might have an exhaust leak along with the loud hissing of the turbo problem???
YES!...um..no on the air filter..and i've found a hose that is leaking..but i dont know if thats the problem yet..i'll check it out..i gotta go replace a water hose also so.. the hoses on this car are $h!T

also does it sound like you might have an exhaust leak along with the loud hissing of the turbo problem??? i do but whats that mean?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

im glad you possibly found your problem, hope i was of some help, post bacl lemme know what happened now im interested in your problem (LoL)[sm=interesting.gif]
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
chirp_5957
2nd Gear Member

u said does it sound like u have an exhaust leak along with the turbo problem...and i do...what does this mean?

ive heard that my exhuast manifold could be leaking? would this take 2 PSI outta my boost? my gauge will only read about 4 and i use to read 6 im pretty sure

Quick Reply: boost problem