General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default I need HP

Im wondering what you all think would be the best bang for the buck for my 01 GT. My parents at the time are not letting me get any performance mods. Im not going to listen to them, but whatever i do, its cant be very visable and cant be loud(so exhaust is out) What do you think would be a good purchase for under $300? Maybe a good CAI? Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:07 AM
steeda_exhaust
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I need HP

with a cai if/when they look under the hood, they will know. a chip for youre computer would be out of sight. i dont like them, but they do work well as long as its secured to the comp properly. other out of sight mod would be gears, but it will be more then 300 installed.

forgot the simple free mod... remove the air silencer. will free up a few and they will never know. unless they see the part put a high flow filter in it too
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Ive have done the free mod stuff and have a K&N filter. I know the CAI is visable, but they never look under the hood anyways. Could i get more gains than a CAI with pullys and a Timing adjuster?

Edit: Steeda_exhaust, did you notice any gains with your TB spacer?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:21 AM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

you need "HP" ? (hot peppers?) --- I need MONEY! can some hook it up with some cash j/k... hey, nice looking stang, why not getting the cold air intake system
Old 07-08-2004, 01:23 AM
steeda_exhaust
1st Gear Member

well.. if they never look then i would get the cai. i dont have pullys or the timing adjuster. but both are good mods.

as for the tb spacer... dont wast youre money. i felt no real difference. i put it on cuz i paid for it. after my gears im getting the C&L intake plenum & 75mm throttle body.

i plan on using my tb spacer as a paper weight. i.e... keeping the sunday paper from blowing out of the trash can.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:12 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I have always heard great things about densecharger kits but i dont have enough money to get the whole kit. Which do you think would be my best bet. 1) The meter forward kit for $129 and some other part (like a timing adjuster) or 2) The meter forward kit that comes with the Pro-M MAF meter for $280? Or I guess i could save up for the full lenght kit, but thats still pushing it money wise for a CAI.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:02 AM
steeda_exhaust
1st Gear Member

well.. i started with a meter forward kit, not densecharger, and i could feel the difference. i have yet to upgrade my maf, but it is on my list. youre comp may need to be recalabrated for the maf. see if you can get the kit w/o the maf. meter forward, and the inlet tube to the tb reusing the stock maf. then you can save for the maf. you will most likely need youre gt tuned with the timing adjuster. which is more money. densecharger are very good kits. i would have one if i did not already have a cai system.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

2k1gt dont worry about the maf messing anything up you dont have to tune your puter for it it will be ok. the tube from the maf to the t/B is worth about 3 or 4 hp. id get the filter up to and including the maf done first. it will save you money in the long run cause the maf it self retails over $ 200. you will see the most gains from changing that.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Alright, thanks a lot guys(and gals?)
Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the computer upgrade using a Hypertech or Superchips unit. These allow you to get some good HP and if needed, you can reprogram the ECU back to the stock settings very easily and your folks will never know you did it.