General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supercharging question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharging question

ORIGINAL: fast83gt

What's not true about it?
what you said about 15psi from a turbo vs 6psi from a roots. the turbo at 6psi would be pushing alot more air than a equal sized roots blower at 6psi. roots blowers are around 55% efficient, while turbos are near 90%. and what you said about centrifugal/turbos not compressing air in the cylinders and doing it in themselves? huh??? that makes no sense dude
Old 07-18-2004, 09:17 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

This is a quote from Holley's website:

The Roots blower is the simplest of all blowers and therefore is also the least expensive. A Roots blower does not compress the air inside the supercharger. It is actually an air pump. The compression of the inlet charge (creation of boost) actually takes place in the cylinders and the manifold.

Centrifugal superchargers and screw type superchargers are called "internal compression" blowers because the air compression takes place inside the supercharger. Roots superchargers are "external compression" blowers because the air compression takes place outside of the supercharger.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:19 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Holley has some great info on their site follow this link:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...fo/SCTech.html

I was a little off when I saidv "8.1:1 compression ratio is like running a 12.1:1"
it's actually 8.5:1 and 12.0:1
Old 07-18-2004, 09:25 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fast83gt

This is a quote from Holley's website:

The Roots blower is the simplest of all blowers and therefore is also the least expensive. A Roots blower does not compress the air inside the supercharger. It is actually an air pump. The compression of the inlet charge (creation of boost) actually takes place in the cylinders and the manifold.

Centrifugal superchargers and screw type superchargers are called "internal compression" blowers because the air compression takes place inside the supercharger. Roots superchargers are "external compression" blowers because the air compression takes place outside of the supercharger.
i wasnt debating about that man...i was under the impression that you thought centrifugals dont compress air in the cylinders....thus making them pointless[&:] but still, i would like to learn more about this internal compression thing. it makes no sense at all. a centrifugal uses an impellar to suck air in, and push it out. if you took the intake pipe off of it, and blew it into the atmosphere, the air wouldnt be compressed, like holley says it is. it would be no different than the fan on your ceiling.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:41 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

this site explains it fairly well
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=21
Old 07-18-2004, 09:55 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

"the centrifugal supercharger essentially acts as a high-speed fan"

i dont see any compression going on inside that diagram. theres something im not getting here. ill try to figure it out when i sober up[&:]
Old 07-20-2004, 06:43 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Think about it this way.
Blow into a straw(the straw being the pipe after the centrifical unit)and then put your finger at the end of the straw(acting as the throttle body) while your still blowing into it,what happens?
It has pressure built,then remove your finger and it flows.
That is why there is a bypass valve before the throttle body so when you let off the pedal,it keeps the whole system from surging.Besides,boost in terms of cfm is good.Boost in terms of backpressure is bad as it just means that there is a bottleneck somewhere else(restriction of flow).You are just trying to make the system as efficient as possible.That is why you see boost pressure.

Rye
Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92BOOSTED

Think about it this way.
Blow into a straw(the straw being the pipe after the centrifical unit)and then put your finger at the end of the straw(acting as the throttle body) while your still blowing into it,what happens?
It has pressure built,then remove your finger and it flows.
That is why there is a bypass valve before the throttle body so when you let off the pedal,it keeps the whole system from surging.Besides,boost in terms of cfm is good.Boost in terms of backpressure is bad as it just means that there is a bottleneck somewhere else(restriction of flow).You are just trying to make the system as efficient as possible.That is why you see boost pressure.

Rye
i 100% understand boost 92. and your correct, cfm's is what matters, not boost at all. most people dont know that. the trouble i was having was trying to figure out how a centrifutgal is an internal compressor, but i get it now
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

That was the best i could come up with.I hope it helps.

Rye

PS Hey nomo,you have quite a lot of posts.good job
Old 07-20-2004, 08:36 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92BOOSTED
PS Hey nomo,you have quite a lot of posts.good job
haha, is that sarcastic?