General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

electric turbo?

Old 07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

Default electric turbo?

Anyone ever heard of it?It supose to push in 400 cfm of extra air and it mounts in front of you mass air..I found one for $80..Is it worth it or it is crap?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: electric turbo?

Your mustang will flow more than 400 cfm of air at 4000 rpm... making it a restriction beyond that. And cfm don't matter, it has to build pressure in order to be functional, and of course at that point then cfm matters. But, it can't get far enough to even matter.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:18 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

the bigger the engine the worse it works. they work fine on anthing under 2.0 liters. anything larger they suck
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

how about a go-cart???
Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

they dont work on anything...they are most all scams. they are really marine builge pumps that break and let debris fly into the engine....but there are a few electric turbos that actually work, but they cost around 500 bucks, and its not worth the investment.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Do you think it would be fairly possible to kinda turbo a go-carts with something as simple as that...???
Old 07-27-2004, 07:17 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

While I see it being helpful maybe on a go kart - I really don't see how a small electric motor would be strong enough to build any kind of pressure in the engine - which is required to increase hp.

If you think about it - atmospheric pressure at sea level is approx 14.7 psi. With that said, it would require 14.7 psi to double power (air into the combustion chamber) so long as the air temperature remained the same. At half that pressure level, lets say 7 psi - the hp would increase by approx 50%. I don't see it being possible to increas the pressure by more than half a pound - meaning a .5 psi increase in intake pressure and a 3.4% increase in power. So, if your go kart is making 5 hp, then this electric turbo (by my math) would add about .17 hp.

Thats my reasoning at least.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:51 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

While I see it being helpful maybe on a go kart - I really don't see how a small electric motor would be strong enough to build any kind of pressure in the engine - which is required to increase hp.

If you think about it - atmospheric pressure at sea level is approx 14.7 psi. With that said, it would require 14.7 psi to double power (air into the combustion chamber) so long as the air temperature remained the same. At half that pressure level, lets say 7 psi - the hp would increase by approx 50%. I don't see it being possible to increas the pressure by more than half a pound - meaning a .5 psi increase in intake pressure and a 3.4% increase in power. So, if your go kart is making 5 hp, then this electric turbo (by my math) would add about .17 hp.

Thats my reasoning at least.
You know i was just thinking about that theory too...HUM...funny...
Old 07-28-2004, 01:56 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

hey joe, that statement about doubling hp isnt true. i could make the same hp with 14psi with a twin turbo as i could with a procharger running 25psi. there are to many variables...size of the power adder, flow of the engine, ie low comp pistons, free flowing exhaust, free flowing intake. boost doenst matter. cmfs do. and lol. with only an s trim at 8psi, i picked up 240hp on the cobra. it comes with 305
Old 07-28-2004, 04:05 PM
iwrxit
4th Gear Member

leave the electric turbos for the kia's. i saw a dyno on a 1.5 liter civic. 1.2 hp gain. then they smashed it with a bat. fun video.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electric turbo?