General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

buying gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Ryaannn

Default buying gears

I have a 94 GT, and i need some help about new gears. Its my stock daily street driven car, so should I go with 3.73 or 4.10 gears, but what im most confused on is whether I would need a new differential and if theres anything else I would need.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: buying gears

It just depends on what your gonna do with you car... some ppl say if your not gonna blow your motor then go 4.10, some say 3.73's if you drive on the highway alot.. Everybody has there own opinons.. just get what you think youd like best...personaly id say go with the 4.10s or 3.90s if your not gonna mod ur car a lot... and all you need to do a gear install is just the install kit and the gears themselves thats all.. DONT FEAR THE GEAR
Old 10-23-2006, 03:14 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: buying gears

Hey Ryaannn, welcome to the forums... I had a 94 GT as well some years ago that I got bolt on happy with... Screwed up on a few things but I think that the gears were about the best move that I made next to the Flowmaster exhaust... I had the local speed shop install 3.73s in the rear differential. As far as drivability goes, I think it was perfect. It got me into the power band a lot sooner and I didn't notice any great change in the MPG (and that is going from the stock 3.08 to 3.73 to 1). What didn't work out well for me (as far as the gears are concerned) was that the gears were noisy... the shop didn't install them correctly... make sure that either you, or the shop you take it to, can do the work right... I have 2 '97 cobras now. One is a daily driver, while the other is a project car. In the project car I have the 3.73s. The gear is perfect for daily driving while giving the 'stang much more aggressive acceleration without throwing the RPMs-at-highway speeds way up there with the stock wheel circumference... I plan on adding a supercharger in the future, so it will still become a beast of a vehicle... The stock 3.27 in comparison to the 3.73s, has a slight bog when running through the gears under a wide open throttle run through the gears... There are a ton of members here that will tell you not to fear the gear, but whether you are interested in a true daily driver or a 1/4 mile track car, I just ask you to look into where your shift points are going to end up (speed vs. redline) with the different gear choices...not to mention your highway RPMs... you have to make the call... it is all up to you on what you want/are willing to accept in the trade offs when it comes to your final choice... Let me throw out a couple of other things ou there for you to chew on... Gears can give you the feeling of more power, but there is no substitute for raw horses... So, if you want a daily drivable beast of a car, you should think about adding HP before getting carried away with gears. Gears will give you more acceleration for your available HP by using more revolutions from the engine to spin the tires, but the revs can degrade your experience by killing your MPG, lessening the engine life (RPMs wear the engine out, not HP (up to a point)), and shooting your top speed. Think about how people get the neighborhood of 1000 HP to the ground... They use a lot of rubber (large circumference wide tires) to keep from just sitting in one spot spinning the tires, in conjunction with lower gearing (the tires end up making more revolutions per rev of the engine then stock, but have the horses to compensate)... One last thing I will say is that you should own the gears instead of them owning you and your car... Guess I got carried away on a soap box..........