General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission heat....interesting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
warghost

Default Transmission heat....interesting problem.

I own a 2004 GT, 4.6 SOHC. I installed a Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter and a UPR aluminum shift **** back in March. I live in Florida and the weather was already warm at that time. Well, now it's getting colder and I noticed something last night...my shifter was getting warm after driving for an hour and stopping at a friend's house. Now, this may have always happened, but I didn't notice since the weather's obviously hotter than the shifter was getting.

I don't know if I should worry about this happening. Does the Tri-Ax allow excess heat to get to the ****? Is the shift **** getting warm something I should worry about? It's not too hot to the touch, but it definitely gets pretty warm. I noticed it happens worst now when I drive the car for about 30 minutes+ then let the care sit for 30+ minutes, then drive the car. I think this may just be tranny heat rising instead of flowing out when the car is moving. But why haven't I noticed this happening before?

Okay, on to the next question: Will getting a transmission cooler help this? Is it a good idea? Keep in mind that I live in FLorida and I rarely do any highway driving, it's all stop-and-go. Are they available for manual trannies? Would it be a good idea considering it only drops below freezing one week out of the year?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission heat....interesting problem.

Welcome to shifter-installed-on-tranny world! The tranny gets warm, and so will everything bolted to it. You didn't notice with the stock **** because is wasn't metal.

You can install a tranny cooler on a manual tranny. You just need a pump to move the fluid, a cooler, and in/out lines to your tranny (gotta make those).