General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Some quick advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Ted Bear

Default Some quick advice please!

Howdy, nice forum you guys have here.. Awright, I got this friend whos looking to get a convertible Stang with a $4500 spending limit. He would like the V8 of course with the 5spd, and the perfered choice would be the one after the fox body, but seeing as the fox is all he could afford, would that be a good choice in convertible? He is also looking to do a bit of modding and wants something fast, so I guess the V6 is out of the question? Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
MARKSSTANG

Default RE: Some quick advice please!

The Kelly Blue Book for a 1994 Mustang GT vert in excellent condition is a little more than $5500. You might be able to find a 94-98 for $4500, but I'm not sure what kind of condition it will be in. You should be careful about buying the car if you are on a budget, because having to replace things can get expensive!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Ted Bear

Yeah, tell me about it.. Any performance available in the V6?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 AM
MARKSSTANG

Even with a V6, you're still going to run into budget issues. I'm sure the price difference for the 6 and the GT is small, and you're still going to end up spending money fixing it since it's an older car. In all honesty, $4500 isn't going to get you far with mustangs
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

If your friend has any mechanical skills and can do the basic stuff himself, he should consider the fox-body convertibles, although their prices are going to be still fairly high.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 AM
dapack69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ted Bear

Look at my car, which just happens to be a vert as well.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Ted Bear

ORIGINAL: MARKSSTANG

Even with a V6, you're still going to run into budget issues. I'm sure the price difference for the 6 and the GT is small, and you're still going to end up spending money fixing it since it's an older car. In all honesty, $4500 isn't going to get you far with mustangs
Well the $4500 is only for the car. Im sure he will have money to fix a few things here and there... Then as time goes by, mods will be added I guess. Um, I wanted to ask about Mileage? How high is too high when it comes to these cars? Thx

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

If your friend has any mechanical skills and can do the basic stuff himself, he should consider the fox-body convertibles, although their prices are going to be still fairly high.
Hm, I see.. Are they tech friendly?

ORIGINAL: dapack69

ORIGINAL: Ted Bear

Look at my car, which just happens to be a vert as well.
Heh, dats a mean lookin V6.. Did you get the 500rwhp you were lookin for? Oh, and hows the aftermarket for the V6 compared to the V8?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:36 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

If your friend is looking at a fox body, there is no V6 unless he finds an older four eyed fox with the 3.0L. If he buys a 4cyl he'll kick himself for it, even if he buys a 94-98 V6 he'll be kicking himself for it. Sounds like performance is what he's after, but horsepower isn't cheap, he may be better off saving for a bit longer or forget the convertable and go with a 5.0L coupe.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Ted Bear

ORIGINAL: 5IVE.OH

If your friend is looking at a fox body, there is no V6 unless he finds an older four eyed fox with the 3.0L. If he buys a 4cyl he'll kick himself for it, even if he buys a 94-98 V6 he'll be kicking himself for it. Sounds like performance is what he's after, but horsepower isn't cheap, he may be better off saving for a bit longer or forget the convertable and go with a 5.0L coupe.
Wow, a 4 cyl on a stang.. Hard to believe lol. Thanks for the good info, but hes a young guy, turning 17, and you remember how we were when getting our first cars. I doubt the kids gonna wait, no matter what you tell him. I think he said his limit went up to $5k, so I guess hes goin for the V8.. Oh theres a 5.0 on the fox too? Thought it went up to 4.6 only.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The 4.6L didn't start until '96. Before then, the 5.0L was the engine to get (aside from special models with the 5.8L). The 5.0L HO was introduced in '83.5, and continually improved.

And, yes, Mustangs are very easy to work on with a lot of aftermarket support for parts.

Quick Reply: Some quick advice please!