General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mach 460

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

Default mach 460

audio/visual section never gets any replies so ill post here. 2 questions
1. if i got a set of 4 small subs would those work to replace the factory speakers? i know that most speakers dont sound that great with the 460 system and i know the main speakers act like subs so if i got some 6.5 in subs would they work? and i found some 6x9 subs but i dont know if i would be able to fab sumthin up to get those to fit in the holes that are made for 6x8 speakers. anyone put 6x9's in before? how did u do it if you did?
2. could i put an 01 hu in replace of my 00 hu. the 00 comes with the 2 seperate units and i would like to upgrade to the 01 6 disk changer. i know i would also have to get a new radio bezel too.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: mach 460

1. when i first started lookin at stuff for my mustang i looked into stereo...and while i dont think they are doin subs...i believe its the same idea on fabrication:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...all/index.html
2. your right about the head unit...ive never seen it done and it will also probably include splicing and crimping new connecting ends onto the stock wires...if u wanted to do it you could...but i think getting a new cd player then using the cd head unit space for a aftermarket 6 disk...either way good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

to upgrade to the 01 you will need all related components the amps and all the databus stuff and cables, you donot want to cut into those cables.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

thanks for that link ponysnake. if i cant figure out a way to get the 6x9's in then ill get some 6.5's. anyone know about what speakers to use? will the sub idea work?

ORIGINAL: Archion

to upgrade to the 01 you will need all related components the amps and all the databus stuff and cables, you donot want to cut into those cables.
thats what i was afraid of. i figured i would need all new components.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:03 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Hey! I have a stock 01 stereo, non 460. Basically its enough, actually its plenty, lol. All Im doing is upgrading my speakers, I had speakers from my previous ride which I wrecked, so I putting them in, and if I can get money for install kit I could stick a new head unit in. Beyond that I dont see me putting in anything else. Why would I anyway?

As far as using 01 head unit in 00. 00 and earlier used DIN units, that where you need two U wires to pull the deck out, and 01 and on dont have that. So you need a kit to put your 01 unit into 00. The kit I had from previous (DIN) car doesnt fit my 01 GT.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:16 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shifterdelux

Hey! I have a stock 01 stereo, non 460. Basically its enough, actually its plenty, lol. All Im doing is upgrading my speakers, I had speakers from my previous ride which I wrecked, so I putting them in, and if I can get money for install kit I could stick a new head unit in. Beyond that I dont see me putting in anything else. Why would I anyway?

As far as using 01 head unit in 00. 00 and earlier used DIN units, that where you need two U wires to pull the deck out, and 01 and on dont have that. So you need a kit to put your 01 unit into 00. The kit I had from previous (DIN) car doesnt fit my 01 GT.
yea, if it woulda been a plug and play thing i would have bought the radio bezel too. its painted anyway so i could get any color off of a old wrecked car. that wasnt a big deal, it was just weather or not the new hu would plug into the old wires. i put a old hu i had in there a while back and had to rewrie the whole damn system to bypass the amps and all and it didnt sound even close to waht the stock system does. one of my speakres is shot though so i need new ones. instead of gettin on ebay and buyin used 460 speakers i was thinkin why not just replace the ones ive got.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

thanks for that link ponysnake. if i cant figure out a way to get the 6x9's in then ill get some 6.5's. anyone know about what speakers to use? will the sub idea work?
I understand what your going for, and unless you dont want to hear anything except the base line because the subs wont reproduce higher hertz for vocals or symbols etc, id recomend some mid-bass speakers to couple the tweeters up top...if your lookin for a good thump though, ive always liked what MTX gives, but ive heard polk and infiniti give great base on their speakers too
Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

would somethin like this work? they are really cheap and that kinda worries me. ive also heard i need 8 ohms and these are 4 so i dont know.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

yeah u could easily make a bunch of subs in a car work...not so sure about the ohms though, may want to give a link to the subs your talkin about, it may tell the rms and other info needed to determine if another amplifer would be needed or what as far as power supplies go
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ah sh**. i meant to post the link in the post above...damnit.

here it is: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=86106518

Quick Reply: mach 460