General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible top replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible top replacement cost

As my father once told my brother when he let a big nasty SBD at the dinner table one night,
"Damn boy!, something must have crawled up in you and died!" LOL
Just what were you eating P??????
Old 08-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pichinco

5 year top is a good one!!?? Good grief!! The top I have now is 10 years old! Does that mean a new top every 5 years? I found a top that was guaranteed for life for ~$500. Just have to have it installed. Wonder what that would cost?

Do you have to replace the glass when you replace the top or can they reuse the glass I have?
When you finally get your top done, please let us know the results. I am currently looking at mustangs and am debating on a convertible or a hardtop.

I had no idea that replacements are so expensive. I always assumed that replacements were no big deal $400-$500 all inclusive. When you are at the upholstery shop, how about asking about maintenance. I live in the Macon, Georgia, area and I have seen plenty of rag tops driving around that are covered with black mold because of all the humidity. I sure would like to know if you can put some type of product on the canvas to prevent mold from growing like Scotchgard.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:00 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot
When you finally get your top done, please let us know the results. I am currently looking at mustangs and am debating on a convertible or a hardtop.

I had no idea that replacements are so expensive. I always assumed that replacements were no big deal $400-$500 all inclusive. When you are at the upholstery shop, how about asking about maintenance. I live in the Macon, Georgia, area and I have seen plenty of rag tops driving around that are covered with black mold because of all the humidity. I sure would like to know if you can put some type of product on the canvas to prevent mold from growing like Scotchgard.
Will do. Hopefully going to do it sometime in the next few weeks. I wouldn't base your decision on expense of top replacement. Tops generally last for years if properly cared for. Every car has expenses of some kind. As someone stated you can get a "cheap" top for $400-$500 and depending on how long you expect to keep the car, might be all you want. I expect to have this car for a while.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

How do you maintain the convertible top? I saw on another thread that there is some hydraulics involved. All this is so new to me so I am going to ask lots of questions. Forgive me for being born a woman!!!

Really, when I go out to buy ANYTHING EXPENSIVE, I try to be an informed consumer. I do a lot of research before purchasing stuff which is why I ask lots of questions because I am totally ignorant about cars.

Hopefully by the time I find the right car, I will know what to look for!! This forum has been great because I have learned so much just by reading the old postings.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:26 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

How do you maintain the convertible top? I saw on another thread that there is some hydraulics involved. All this is so new to me so I am going to ask lots of questions. Forgive me for being born a woman!!!

Really, when I go out to buy ANYTHING EXPENSIVE, I try to be an informed consumer. I do a lot of research before purchasing stuff which is why I ask lots of questions because I am totally ignorant about cars.

Hopefully by the time I find the right car, I will know what to look for!! This forum has been great because I have learned so much just by reading the old postings.
Mostly just keep it clean. I've heard there are some products out there to protect from UV rays, but haven't found/tried any as of yet. As far as hydraulics, you shouldn't have to do any maintenance to that part of the system. If those go, you've got bigger problems. I owned a 64.5 covertible that had the original hydraulic system in it and it worked great!! I wouldn't worry to much about that part of convertible system.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

For my old Iroc-z Vert, it ran about 200-250 for installation. Make sure you get glass and not plastic for a window!!