General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

change or not to change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 AM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

Default change or not to change?

i know this is off but i have a 91 s10 auto with 151k on it and i noticed that it is starting to shift's hared thing it did. and shifting late win you get on it a bit. my question is should i change the transmission filter and oil or do you think that would do more harm thin good? i herd its bad with so much mile, we have had the truck for 7 years and have never changer it or the rear end fluid should I do that? IM just trying to keep old girl around just got it painted and new rims lol.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: change or not to change?

I would not change the fluid as you will lose your transmission.The reason is,Your fluid is now carrying most of your clutch friction or shavings and thats what is keeping your trans shifting.If you change your fluid now you will be losing that and the trans wont shift.
If it were me i would by a core and have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt tranny while your truck is still moving then replace it and now you just give the core back to the trans shop.

Rye
Old 08-25-2004, 04:58 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I say change the tranny fluid and filter now! All that friction material 92boosted is talking about is probably plugging up the filter keeping the pump from getting enough fluid to pump and the hydraulic pressure is too low as a result so it doesn't shift right. I don't think the tranny will quit working just because you change the fluid and filter, too bad you didn't do it at every 40,000 miles or so.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 PM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

OK now IM stuck one yes and one no. it is still doing its job but its starting not to. And the truck was my dads and he never changes fluid IM this in none of his cars donno y but he don't keeps the oil done thaw.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

how come most of the people i talk to say you don't have to change auto fluid and some say yes like every 10 oil changes, and some say with that much mile don't touch it? and one more question on my T5 in my stang i don't know how much miles are on it but is it OK to change the fluid in that? sorry for all the stupid qustions.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:02 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigopimp

OK now IM stuck one yes and one no. it is still doing its job but its starting not to. And the truck was my dads and he never changes fluid IM this in none of his cars donno y but he don't keeps the oil done thaw.

this is a big sign that the filter and fluid needs to be changed NOW before you lose fluid flow entirely and then the clutches and bands will burn up for sure![sm=trust_me.gif]

If you don't do something soon, it will fail entirely![sm=wakeup.gif]
Old 08-25-2004, 07:17 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigopimp

how come most of the people i talk to say you don't have to change auto fluid and some say yes like every 10 oil changes, and some say with that much mile don't touch it? and one more question on my T5 in my stang i don't know how much miles are on it but is it OK to change the fluid in that? sorry for all the stupid qustions.
Questions are never stupid, but some answers sure can be! I've never heard that one about not changing the fluid in an auto tranny before. IMO, It never hurts to change the lubricant in any gear box of any kind at some kind of regular interval. It's even more important to do so on an automobile because they don't run 24/7 and keep the oils hot! This lets condensation of water vapor form in the gearboxes and the water that forms dilutes the oil and reduces the lubricitity of the oil which leads to failed bearings and gears. Plus, any system with a filter will have that filter plug up sooner or later and then the fluid can't flow to where it needs to go to provide the lubrication it is supposed to! And all the minute particles of dirt and grit in the air around a moving car gets in through the gearbox vents and this stuff just eats up the gears and bearings too in dirty oil.
Look at it this way, what have you got to lose? Do nothing and I guarantee that it will eventually fail. Change the fluid and filter and you have a chance that it will keep running for some more miles.[sm=exactly.gif]
"The choice is up to you punk! Do you feel lucky" Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry![sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Old 08-25-2004, 07:18 PM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know what will happen win it does get clogged up. but ppl tell me not to cuss it might never work again and i don't know nothing about this stuff. and it's my only care right now and no $ [:@] this is what it is doing win you first put it i gear in the morning and its cold and you are just going slow it will hang in first longer thin it should but after it worms up that's stops and thin you got to take off fast it will red line if i don't watch it and thin it will shift hard and you are off. so im just thinking it's getting clogged up i donno if i want to change it thaw.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
bigopimp
2nd Gear Member

Ohh you got a point there roundman!! But the thing is working and if I go out there right now and do it and it don't go in to gear IM fuc ked but if I do it will run longer ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dame it to hell lol.

I know the auto on my dads 99 gmc just quit at a light just stoped and it did it to times what course that to happen? And it hapend it his nabors rockcrusher to!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

SO GO FLIP A F**KING COIN AND MAKE A DECISION! I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU WHAT I THINK! HOPE YOU LIKE WALKING TOO!

Quick Reply: change or not to change?