General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeaking Noise When Turning Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Squeaking Noise When Turning Wheel

Does it sound like a creeking old door on halloween, if so it's most likely the outer rods.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 AM
NvRdoNeStAnGsIx
2nd Gear Member

Excuse my french, but it sort of sounds like a remix between the adam's family door opening and a fat kid who just ate taco bell and got the bean burritto.. if you kno what i mean.. its really obnoxious.

I jacked up the car, and wiggled the tire like you said.. There's not a LOT of play, but there is some. When I do this with the tire, it makes the noise. All signs pointing to outter tie rod ends..

At least my steering tightend up a little replacing the ball joints, lol. My car does have a problem with hitting bumps and flying off the road unexpectedly.. Ball joints fixed it a good bit but still does it slightly.. i was told this could be a sign of bad outter tie rod ends aswell.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

I didn't say every Ford tie rod end is bad. Look at what I wrote; "Fords are notorious for bad outter tie rod ends." I've been working on Fords for years and I see them go bad quite often. If your's are still fine, that's great for you.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

could be either your bearing for your steering or mabye check brakes
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
NvRdoNeStAnGsIx
2nd Gear Member

Why would it be brakes? lol That makes no sense.. Im sitting my car in neutral with the ebrake on, i turn the wheel and it creaks.. the car isnt even moving. lol so i think that rules out brakes..

but steering bearing? is there a more specific name?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

He's talking about your steering shaft. If there's a problem, there would be play in your steering.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 AM
NvRdoNeStAnGsIx
2nd Gear Member

Well there's none of that. Im gonna go with outter tie rod end and get it replaced I suppose.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

ya try that. Well our caddy was doing that but i didnt know it was just whenyou were sitting there. Nevermind, go with that and see if it works. If not ask again
Old 12-14-2006, 05:49 PM
NvRdoNeStAnGsIx
2nd Gear Member

Well its officially the outer tie rod end. I bought it for 22 bucks at Napa.. and got it put on for $40 at my local auto shop. They did it in about 15 minutes on a lift. No more squeaking.. so happy.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
LongfinsGT
1st Gear Member

i have been dealing with the squeaks for weeks now anda couple days agoi got sick of it and went online for some research. I learnedto trygoing to your local auto parts store and buy some liquid wrench lubricant called white lithium grease. cut the plastic straw into a hypo. needleand fill therodend boots with lube. I was a little hesitant to do this at first but i figured i was going to have to replace them possibly anyway so why not try it. So i did and within two turns of the wheel the squeak was gone. The puncture holes werent even noticable but i still put a drop of tacky epoxy over the top to seal them up and i was done. Easy and extremely effective atleast in my case.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise When Turning Wheel