General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thunderbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 AM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default Thunderbirds?

Ok, so I was looking at getting a 97 thunderbird for a good price. I will still be keeping my 97 mustang but what I wanted to know, is there a way to change the thunderbirds bolt pattern to be the same as my mustangs?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Thunderbirds?

anyone know anything about the thunderbirds? or if not does someone know of a good thunderbird forum?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

bolt pattern for rims? i thought it was the same

what motor just out of curiosity?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:41 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

mustang bolt pattern is 5-114, thunderbirds have 5-108
Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

Yea you can change bolt pattern by changing the hub and possibly axle. Not a biggie if you have donor car. Why bird? They are heavy and ugly, IMO. But if you getting one get 5 speed, 4.6L with 4R70W is [:'(], IMO.. Ive modified one of those with j-mod, still suck. Connecting motor to drivetrain using clutch has a totally different feeling to it, trust me.

Here is a good forum. www.tccoa.org (or .com) Basically they are better with fords than this forum.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

well the reason I would be getting this thunderbird is to use it as a daly driver so Im not putting so many miles on the mustang. after I get done with fixing my mustang I wanted to find a Mark VIII and strip it for parts to use on the thunderbird. I want the thunderbird just to look nice and be pimp. It doesnt need to be fast, thats why I have the mustang for.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:39 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

For daily driver Id use a four banger, such as Focus, or similar car that will qualify for SCCA rally challenge. Just an idea, daily driver and a fun race car on the side.

I wouldnt go with the bird or cat, no way, I dont like them. Maybe a crown vic, maybe or maybe not. A countour SVT is a nice car and should be the same price, taurus SHO is a great car also, you have 3 choices of body styles and 2 engines to choose from. Either of these is much more fun than a bird, and faster.

But if you insist on a bird, then at least get a turbo coupe.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
91cougarxr7

Why bird? They are heavy and ugly, hey now i think my cat's sexy lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:08 AM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at the bird because I found one for cheap and I use to have a cougar for the same year and I liked it a lot. It was very comfortable. Plus I want to strip the inside of my mustang out to make it lighter because with the mustang I am just going to go for speed. I just though for the price I can get this bird and put the miles on this instead of the mustang. Plus since I have spare parts from my engine and the thunderbird uses the same thing so I will have extra parts for fixing the car.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Discount Tire shows the T-bird to use a 5-115 bolt pattern. I'd take one of your Stang wheels (the spare) and try it before you do anything drastic.

Quick Reply: Thunderbirds?