General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bumper repair quote

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
alexr
★★★★★

Default bumper repair quote

ok, so i need to get this repaired:

my question is, how much can i expect to be paying if im getting a rate of about $15/hr in labor costs (no that is not a misprint, and no its not maaco).

im not to "educated" on collision repair, so i dont know if that can be touched up, after filled, or if it has to be stripped and totally repainted.

this is assuming, im paying $15/hr and probably for paint.

oh btw, disregard the specks all around the bumper, im just looking at the major scratches.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: bumper repair quote

try 150 an hour... anyway it needs a respray, figure 150-250 to get it fixed
Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 AM
alexr
★★★★★

no 15/hr. im not stupid, i know what im talking about.

that seems really high, i could just get a whole new one for 300 painted
Old 12-05-2006, 02:57 AM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ARdoller

If you can do that, you should. I work in the industry and it would be about $400 to repair and repaint that at any shop in Seattle that is run by someone that speaks English.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: wythors

ORIGINAL: ARdoller

If you can do that, you should. I work in the industry and it would be about $400 to repair and repaint that at any shop in Seattle that is run by someone that speaks English.
ok so what i havnt told you guys yet is that i will be getting the body work done at the collision repair department at my school. (yes its a college... and eventhough the students are doing the work, they have trained professionals there making sure they do it right... so its not some votech high school half assed job)

but anyway, i stopped by the department window and there was a sign that said:

$20/hr for paint work

$5/hr for body work

"This is charged to cover all materials used on your vehicle"

then it says there is a $7 lab fee.

the only questions i have left would be, how many hours (in each dept, body and paint) would i expect to be charged for? and do you think that statement about covering all materials, includes paint, or do you think by materials they just mean stripper, bondo/body filler, and tools they use to remove and apply paint?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:59 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

those rates aren't correct, can't be, decent body work runs an easy minimum $50-$80 per hour
Old 12-05-2006, 04:28 PM
alexr
★★★★★

did i not tell you that this is a school doing the work? its part of their training, theyre not gonna charge a full rate because its not a body shop trying to make a profit.

the hourly charge is only to cover lab fees and material costs.

i believe doing this is like their equivalent to internships.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
alexr
★★★★★

if i have to clear it up for you guys:

my question is "at this rate, how much am i looking to pay, taking into the account of how many hours it will take and stuff like that"

NOT what you guys think is the hourly rate for something like this is. that is the rate, thats not a guess.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Depends on how much work they have to do to make it go away, I see some obvious gouges there, poss even a bumber replacement unless you want to risk mud on a flexible bumber which will pop off. Have the instructor look at it and give you an estimate, that is part of bodyshop training as well.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:41 AM
alexr
★★★★★

so for all of you that care to take any interest:

ok so i was over at the collision repair dept. yesterday (i guess its 2 days ago now). i got my "estimate" which (once again is because its a non-profit program) is their actual cost, no surprise fee's when i go to take it in.

anyway down to the news. to have my bumper serviced and repainted, the charge is $113.

i also told them i may be bringing in a new hood to be painted, and they told me it would be $100 to paint it, and repaint the fenders to blend the paint.

so the grand total is going to be $213 for a bumper repair and a hood painted.

thats almost like im getting a small discount on a bumper fix, and getting a hood/fender paint job for free!

the paint was even included in the hourly rate (which is one of the big reasons why it costs so little).

i dont know if you have to have a valid reason to get in there or not in the first place (body damage), but for that price, i might try and get back in there in the next year or two and try and get the whole car resprayed for that kind of price.

Quick Reply: bumper repair quote