General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Spencer_k

Default Engine swap questions.

Ok guys I'm new here and I have a bunch of questions about a project that I am about to start. I'm 16 years old and I just got my licence. My grandparents gave me their 95 lincoln mark VIII. Yes it's a granny mobile but theres a gem to this boat. The 4.6 litre V8. What I really want to do is pick up a mid to late 90s mustang with a blown motor and put this engine into it. I really think this has potential. Even as restircted as it is with its tiny intake and exhaust it makes about 280 hp. I belive that with those things fixed along with other things I can get around 320 hp. What I am really getting at is I was wondering if those motors are evene compatibale with 90s V8 mustangs. I was also wondering if the trannys are too, because I don't want to be caught driving no automatic.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine swap questions.

First off, anything can be done with enough skill, experience, time and money. That said, what you're wanting to do will be difficult, time-consuming and expensive if you're paying someone to do it. First off, it's a 4.6. I've seen Cobra motors transplanted into Fox Mustangs, but it requires a lot of wiring and the computer system from the donor car. The 4.6 has a different bellhousing bolt pattern, so you'll have to source the appropriate transmission and driveshaft for it. It can be done, but it's not a do-it-yourself project for a novice. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Spencer_k

Labor isnt a problem in this story. My whole family has been working on cars/ mortercycles for a LONG time. My garage is bigger than my house. All I really wanted to know is if the motor from the lincoln drops right it in. From what you said it looks like I will need a new tranny. Any idea where I can get a manual that will will fit that motor?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Spencer_k

also, after the motor is taken out of the lincoln the rest of that car will be parted or scrapped
Old 12-09-2006, 01:55 AM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

A transmission from any 96-04 Mustang or Cobra will fit. "Drop right in" probably isn't the appropriate term. I haven't researched it personally, buy you are undoubtedly going to need some kind of swap engine mounts and headers.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Spencer_k

also, how different are the motors? How many hp is the stock gt motor ?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

In my opinion you'd be better off getting a Fox Body with a 5,0 in it. It's probably just as cheap if not cheaper to do that and you won't be destroying the Lincoln. I'm 15 and I know it can be hard to afford some of these parts from time to time (I'm restoring a '67) This is some info I found on the GT 4.6 in the 4.6 FAQ section but you could get a lot more info than that by just googling it I think.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Spencer_k

the lincoln got hit in the side when my grandma was driving it so its scrap. Only thing good is the motor
Old 12-09-2006, 08:22 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The motor in the Lincoln is a 4.6 DOHC basically the Cobra Motor. the Motor in A Mustang GT is a 4.6 SOHC. The motor in that Lincoln is a much better motor than the 96 to 98 NPI motors that came in the Mustangs. The other thing you need to confirm is whether or not the 95 Lincoln is a OBD1 or OBDII. Anything can be done if you have enough $. Many people have done Lincoln swaps maybe try a Google search to see what people needed to get it done.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Spencer_k

dont know if it helps or not but this is what the motor looks like.

Quick Reply: Engine swap questions.