General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Seat belts...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Mustang_Ali
1st Gear Member

Default Seat belts...

So the other day I was working on the used car lot of a Ford dealership. Every newedge Mustang I was in, all had seat belts that don't retract. I have an '01 and the pass. front seat belt doesn't retract anymore either. What is up with that? How do I fix mine? It drives me crazy and I'm afraid one of these times the seat belt is going to get closed in the door.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:08 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Seat belts...

Mine does the same thing. From what I've read its a common problem with the new edge mustangs. I catch mine in the door all the time, it hasnt hurt the belt or buckle yet.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Mustang_Ali
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm not worried about the seat belt itself, I just don't want my door panel to get torn if that buckle gets caught in it. I see that type of thing all the time, since I do interior repairs. I don't want to have to fix my own vehicle lol
Any idea if it can be easily fixed?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:26 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I really dont know any way to fix it other than replace the whole assembly. It seems like the retracting mechanism just gets weak and stops working right. Mine will retract, but it takes a few minutes. You might try spraying some lube in the housing to see if that would loosen it up.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:58 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Mine you have to pull and let go fast for it to retract.
Unless when you take it off its straight then it retracts kind of...

I plan to buy new ones when I get the money since I really dont trust these things
Old 12-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

I've owned 3 stangs, 2 Rangers, An F-150 (and a partridge in a pair tree) and I don't think the belts in any of them ever worked right...
Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

My '71 Stang had a 2-piece belt, the lap part retracted ok. And hanging from the ceiling was a non-retracting shoulder belt "option" that you could use if you felt like it. I never felt like it lol

My '79 Stang had semi-decent belts.. Seemed to work OK

My '86 GT had probably the best belts. They retracted OK and when they were on you could give the shoulder belt a short tug & it would lock in place for comfort.

My '02GT belts suck. I've already removed the elephant ear belt holders from the seat by the headrest cause they look stupid & made getting to the back seat a pain. The front belts would retract-lock for the slightest reason [:@] and no they don't always retract when I get out of the car either

Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Mustang_Ali
1st Gear Member

yeah, sowe all agree, Ford seat belts suck. Anybody try fixing theirs?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

i was just thinking about this today, i was wonderin if the rear seat belt is the same as the front one. if they are i would just switch the 2. i hardlly ever have anyon ridin in the back anyway.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:55 AM
HBKHBK

Man Mustang seat belt suck big time...even on the new mustangs 2005 - 2007, what a shame...
I know, if you have the money....Mercedes can put their seatbelts into a mustang for a bit more money....and believe me Mercedes seat belt is not only more more comfy also more durable,more quality...and no problems at all....

I will consider that....and look into it how much it would cost....

we all love our mustangs,but we also have to admit the ****ty stuff on the stang as well....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat belts...