General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

It can be done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Robbie02GT
1st Gear Member

Default It can be done!

I just completed my 00 lightning motor swap into my 01 gt vert. It is great torque and attention getter, but it is a time consuming and costly swap. i would have to say the aprx. 440 hp and 550 tq is not that great of a number after i spent $11 grand in the swap. I had a 420 hp kennie bell 4.6 that was a geat dependable motor with stealth looks buteveryone else that owns a mustanghas a 4.6 supercharged. So i just wanted to post this thread because ifanyone is looking to do a lightning swap reconsider the power to cost ratio it is not cheap power! If you are going fora show and unique mustang that is a fun torquemachine than the lightningswap is your weapon of choice, but when you go out for a spin calc. some to talk to people because everytime you stop at a light or gas up you will have to anwser a list of questions! If anyone has any questions or comments let me know.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: It can be done!

Congrats on the job and I sent you a PM with a couple of questions buy the cost takes it out of range but if you would answer the questions I would appreciate it or list the major costs and headaches here. mark
Old 01-20-2007, 11:50 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Nice swap [sm=ttiwwp.gif] please!

And, what were the bigger challenges of the swap I'd be real curious. There are SOO MANY people popping on here asking about V6-to-V8 conversions etc, that it'd be sweet for them to see what it REALLY takes to swap motors in a car. Yours sounds pretty unique, and off the top I would think the swap shouldn't have been too tough?

What area(s) did most of the money go?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Very nice. when you get pics post them in the 4.6 section. I'm sure there will be a lot of interested people in there.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I assume you have it on an automatic? It shouldn't be too terribly tough, since it'll bolt right up on the mounts, but what hood are you using? I would figure a 3" Cowl would leave plenty of room for clearance, if there was even an issue.

Way to go on the uniqueness of it, definately not too common. Cool man

Ryan
Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Robbie02GT
1st Gear Member

I am using a built T-45 5 speed with a 8 bolt lightweight flywheel from the badCobra R. It is quite a killer combo i cant use 1 or 2 onstreet tires.I need drags if anyone wants to come off i set let me know!!I cant want to dyno it after the new cams and valve job. It is a easy swap with afew hard things to conquer. The hood, wiring, tranny, returned fuel system and traction!! AND NO a 3"cowl is not enough a 6" cowlisn't enough i think if there was a 9" cowl then maybe!! It is in the shop fabbing a custom cowl on a cowl