General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I have a question????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:44 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Default I have a question????

I was drove my new project 83 stang, Ive got a question I re-adjusted the timing by ear, Ive noticed I was going up a hill, I wanted to pass another car I had not throttle to pass him up the hill, So I advanced the timing a little bit more, It seems to be working great now. To pass uphill, The other question is I started the project stang up I noticed it was starting to cut out, Not like a misfire nothing like that, It seemed like a spark or something in that direction, Is there any way of telling how youre dist is quiting, Or igintion coil maybe dieing?. It doesnt do it often, Could be the timing? The tune-up is only 8 months old, new air filter / New fuel filter, Plugs / wires / dist. cap / rotor. Any Idea's guys?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:58 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I have a question????

it really hard to adjust the timing by ear so it might just be best to get a timing lite and set it that way maybe arond 11 or 12 degree advance and as the slight misfire maybe check you pickup coil in the distributor it could possibly that or you might just want to pop you cap off and look for gunk on the little points on the cap
Old 10-02-2004, 04:09 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

The dist. doesnt have points, Its all electronic, Its got that Dura sparkIII dist. assembly. Well I guess I will grab the timing light from friend then. Then re adjust it.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:21 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you really need to use a timing lite to set the timing properly as the ear is not a precise method of doing it. and I think what Stangpower96 meant when he said points were the terminals in the distributor cap where the rotor distributes the spark to the individual cylinders. Both they and the rotor can get burned over time and this can cause wierd ignition trouble off and on. You might also want to check all the ignition wiring to be sure everything is tightly connected and there are no weak spots in any of the wiring. Moisture getting into the wiring can cause havoc with the ignition system from time to time and it don't have to be raining, just high humidity will do it sometimes. Also use some dielectric silicone grease available at any auto parts store on the boots on both ends of the spark plug and coil wires to help prevent moisture from getting in and the corrosion it can cause from disrupting the spark to the plugs too.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:23 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

two words...

timing light
Old 10-02-2004, 03:55 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

I know I can always count on you guys for the tips, Thanks again guys.