General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission problem or something else...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 PM
05StangChic

Default Transmission problem or something else...help!

Hi, I am new to the Forum and a fairly new Mustang owner. I have a (purchased new) 2005 Mustang GT, less than 20,000 miles on it...and have no problems so far, however, I've noticed when the weather is extremely cold (in the teens to upper/mid twenties)the car seems to have problems accerlerating or "going" once in gear, this is especially noticeable in reverse and going from a full stop. The car seems to sort of "pull" the best I can describe it is that feeling you feel when slowly going over a speed bump...I give it gas and it lugs, sort of like going over a long bump. I let the car warm up and still it has problems. Once i drive around, the car is fine and I don't experience it.
Is this normal for Mustang GTs?? So far, other Mustang owners I've discussed this with have no answers, no idea or have not experienced this. It is still under warranty, however, I have no idea what to tell the dealership to check.
Anybody have any insight? Help me out here?? Thanks a lot.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission problem or something else...help!

Nope that doesn't sound normal to me.. I wonder if one of your brakes is dragging? Is it automatic or manual? To check the brake drag,, next time you are feeling this sensation put the car in neutral, get out & give it a push. The car should push relatively easily (on a hard level surface!).

Do you use the parking brake? Maybe that's sticking..?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Not happening to me either. Just tell the dealer exactly what you told us. Just make sure simple things are taken care off, like you are fully disengaging the e-brake and all.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

My e-break froze the other day at work, but it was like 10d outside. Does your motor sound rough? Sounds kinda like the " limp home " mode. Like TPony said tell the dealer exactly what is does and they should be able to tell you without charging you for the evaluation.

If you would pls post what the dealer said in case someone else has the same issue. [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I'm not real familiar with the new Mustangs but an idea came to mind.The throttle is a drive by wire system,correct?That being the case,could it be hanging up until the engine heat allowed it to move smoothly?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 AM
05StangChic

Hey guys, thanks for the replies...those are all things I will have checked. I will definitely post what the dealer says regarding this problem. In response to several replies:
-all seems well once the car has been running a while.
-(re: Jurnymn's reply: no, I do not have thee- brake engaged, but I do use it.... It's definitely happening only when it's cold out...it's been down to single digits here lately so, I'm wondering if the e-brake it freezing/getting stuck as yousuggested.
-I have an automatic GT
-the motor sounds good...(in fact, I'm addicted to that rumble now! hee hee)
-the new GTs have what is called an electronic throttle...that was replaced and this is still happening.

So, we've established that this is not normal...good start. I appreciate your opinions, like i said, i thought i'd try the forum before going to the dealership; i just thought it was worth asking people who are familiar with the Mustangs...I've heard they have some funny quirks. I'm willing to deal with them...I love this car!
BTW, great pictures of your 'Stangs! I'll have to post pictures sometime. Mine is a silver GT Deluxe pkg...you guys that like the more sooped-up look would find mine to be pretty "plain" I'm sure, but in my opinion, it looks good as it is. I've added chrome exhaust tips, a short antenna, have5-spoke mag wheels and pirelli low-profile tires: leather interior/upgrade features minus the 500 shaker sound system...i havea cd player which i've been happy with (got my ipod hook up).
Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Great. BTW, nothing wrong with "plain". Just post the pics whenever you have a chance, we go nuts here for Stang pics......[sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Yep, beauty is in the eye of the owner. Glad we are all different in one way or another.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:21 AM
!HOSTILE!

Im new to the forum and will post a pic ofmy new baby but the damn starter froze and had to get towed back to dealer with only 70 miles on it. felt like it was already gettin repoed.By the way ford road side asst. sucks
Old 02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
05StangChic

Well, you guys were right about the e-brake sticking...that's all it is and I'll have it checked the next time i get an oil change. Now, i just don't use the e-brake when its frickin' cold...like now. I'm glad it was something so simple, however we would have never thought of that, so thanks for the input.As hindsight would have it, Inoticed when pulling up the e-brake (in cold weather only) it doesn't have any friction...just flies up, almost like it's not engaged at all!! hahaha....seems like a no-brainer now but...that's how it goes.
TPony...niiiiiiice Stang. That's what my hubby wanted but he left the choice up to me (the great guy that he is!!) and I chose silver mostly because I didn't want to be a slave to washing it all time, black only looks good shiny!!
I'll post pictures when the weather is nice enoughto wash it and I can pamper it a bit.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem or something else...help!