General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Stuck in Park - what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:17 PM
dstilesvds

Default Stuck in Park - what's wrong?

My good wife's '98 Mustang GT, 4.6 Liter, automatic transmission, has a annoying problem. She (and I) cannot move the transmission out of "Park", especially in cold weather. We have to start the engine and let it warm up for as much as ten minutes before the gearshift will move into reverse or drive. In the summertime, the warmup time is much less or none at all. We took the car to the dealership and paid an awful sum for whatever they did, but the benefit was nil. The problem persists and with cold weather coming on, we know we will be waiting in our driveway for what seems a long, long time. I am confident someone knows exactly where the fault lies, and what I need to tell the professionals to do to correct it. I realize (of course) pressure on the brake releases a safety mechinism and you can hear it "click" when you touch the brake, so that seems to be working. You cannot depress the button on the shift mechanism, however, until the engine is thoroughly warmed up. Thanks a million for your help!
Dan Stiles
Old 10-17-2004, 12:48 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuck in Park - what's wrong?

Hmm, well if it didn't get fixed, there should be some sort of warranty on their work... I had to get some work done on my stang when I first got it, and I had like a 6 month warranty on the repairs. So before you pay anything else, make sure you don't HAVE to pay them again.

Anyways, some of the guys and girls here know a hell of a lot about fixing these kinda things, and it might be something you can do yourself-- I'm sure they'll let you know.

Don't pay them if you don't have to!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:59 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I know there's a cable that can go bad that connects that button to the release mechanizm. Have you tried pushing the shifter forward before pushing the button? Sometimes that releases the tension and will let you shift it out of park...
Old 10-17-2004, 05:12 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like to be youre safety switch my be failing or linkage has some kind of loseness in it.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:13 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like to be youre safety switch my be failing or linkage has some kind of loseness in it. Then my last guess would be youre lock tranny my need servicing.

Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

is this car parked on a hill?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:55 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Even if it were on a hill it would still be hard to pull out of park cold or warmed. My driveway was nothing but a hill when I was a kid. I quickly learned to put the Ebrake on before you put it in park.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I know this..was just looking for something I have seens happens..with heat if it bound up the grease on cable being warm could make it easier to shift..
Old 10-18-2004, 12:06 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

cool... just saying.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:20 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

it cool

Quick Reply: Stuck in Park - what's wrong?