General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need some expert susp. advice. bear with me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:42 AM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Default need some expert susp. advice. bear with me...

Ok, I've been reading threads on this forum for a while now, and ive learned a lot about mustangs ( I have an 03 convertible v6) but I need some things clarified that i couldnt find in the postings.

so heres my deal (sorry this may be a little longwinded). i bought the car used after it had about 18k on it. as far as i know its completely stock, which means that the suspension and ride is not what id like to be (a.k.a. I would rather it felt more like my dad's altima or something). anyway, I want to just say what id want the thing to feel like, and then ask some stuff about specific things to buy.

problems:
1)I dont like the way the car rocks front/back slightly on acceleration or when stopping at a light (if im going slow to the light its fine but otherwise, you know what im talking about...)
2)rattles and general stiffness (i understand its a vert so this is normal but id like to minimize it if possible.
3) body roll in turns
4) rear wheels popping or shifting during bumpy turns at higher speeds.

questions:
basically i just want a basic explanantion of what the following things do (or if what i think they do is wrong, tell me...)
STB (holds the sides of the front of the car togther more stiffly - what does this translate to?)
sway bar (i underatnd this is supposed to compensate for over/understeer issues is that related to the wheel popping i mentioned or is taht some other issue)
pan hard bar (dunno what this is)
upper/lower control arms (not sure about this either)
subframes (i assume this just stiffrens up the body. )

if i stiffened up the body with subframes/stb etc.. would that reduce, or increase, rattles?
the control arms - are they for countering body roll? wheel popping/shifting?

as far as suspension goes, id love it to feel smoother if possible. i dont want it to bounce over speed bumps , but at the same time i dont want it to shake rattle and roll when i go over a bumpy street ..
are those things possible while stiffening the body for handling at the same time??

also one more general question - the targa top ive seen available. can that be used on a vert or is the body too different than the coupe.

I know this is a buttload of stuff for one pose, but its my first post so go easy....
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 PM
rebelrexx

Default RE: need some expert susp. advice. bear with me...

alright,
STB pretty much connects the top of the strut with the chassis, decreasing body roll with little effect on overall stiffness of ride
sway decreases the amount of twist the chassis wants to exert in a turn, does effect stiffness(my suggestion, go to sanerperffab.com and get one custom made)
Panhard rod is for locating axles
control arms are made for suspension geometry, try as little as possible not to screw with this
and subframes will help with your cornering problem
my overall suggestion, get a new swaybar, a stb, and subframe connectors, leave in the stock springs, and get some adjustable shocks, leave them on the lowest setting for daily driver, and when you really wanna play, pump them up with the twist of a **** and hold on
Old 10-22-2004, 12:41 AM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need some expert susp. advice. bear with me...

You could lower your stang but the ride will litlle stiffer than stock. But shocks will worlk good. Also get some full length subframe connectors(especially for a conv)
and a Strut tower brace will work. Install one suspension item at a time so you will feel the difference in drivability. Good Luck and have patience suspension will take awhile.

Matt 2001 modded V6.