General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
PearlWhiteGT
2nd Gear Member

Default PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm looking for some AFR 165's. There is a guy 2 hours away from me that has a set that are like brand new. He is asking $950.00 for them. What do I need to ask about these heads before I take a drive to look at them? Are used alum. heads safe to buy or should I save about $500.00 more & buy new? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:12 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm always skeptical when buying used stuff like that. If the price difference is small, I usually prefer to buy new. That way you know you have no real issues, or you at least have a warranty to fall back on.

But if you do go to check them out, make sure they are in good shape and aren't warped or anything. Also want to make sure there are no problems with the valves, rockers, springs, etc. It's easy to miss something if it's a minor flaw.

Or are these bare heads?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Personally I would buy new unless it was a deal too good to pass up. I would ask him to drop the price another $250 or so before buying, but thats just me.

You cant be really sure how many miles are on them and unless you take them to a shop you dont know if they are cracked or warped.

If you feel that this is a good price then I say go for it and really the most you will lose out of it is about 4 hours and $900 if they dont work out, we cant always make the perfect choice and in the end money was just money.

If you want to go ahead and buy them spend time looking them over, dont be afraid to be direct with questions and double check everything. Bring a prepaired contract with you stating that you have 15-30 days to have a shop check them over for you, tell him the shop name and allow him to ask them about them too. Be as fair as possible. In the contract you should note that it will be null and void if they are mounted.

He may not want to go that way so its best to ask first, otherwise you are going on the honor system.

Best of luck with you.

-Eric-

PS. If you decide to keep saving then I suggest getting a pair of 351C 4V aluminum aussie heads from AFD. They are a company in Australia and have a supplier in Oregon. You can check out their website http://www.ausfordparts.com/and the direct site is http://www.airflowdynamics.com.au/They sell direct to the customer or you can order from the guy in Oregon, he is on Ebay.

They claim 680hp+ out of the box for the 4V on an engine that will consume that much air.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You can get new heads for close tothat price.