General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

GT as a first car?

Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
biglou107

Default GT as a first car?

would a 1996-2004 GT 5 speed be ok for a first car? would anyonme recomend not getting it as a first car? also any reasons why
Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM
86 GT 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT as a first car?

A lot of people on this forum would say no, but IMO it would be a great first car.....
Old 02-18-2007, 03:42 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

if you want a mustang get a v6 for the first car but i sugest not getting a GT because most people are not very good drivers and they will wreck there first car and we have had enough wrecks this winter im not saying you are a bad driver i dont even know you just stating the facts
Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

my first car was a 65 mustang. Bored, cammed, long tubes, 4 bbl and ect. i just bought a 02 gt (still have the 65) and it is really night and day. Some of you are going to laugh but a guy in a GT with a heavy foot and get into trouble, being with the law or in a life/death situation.

Be careful
Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
biglou107

hows like the feeling of the clutch is it hard to get used to is it hard to learn how to get used to it. i hear the car handles ok and its not the fastest car (1996-1998 GT) so it shouldnt be that bad to drive and control
Old 02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

The stock clutch is fairly easy to live with on GT's. Is this gonna also be the first standard tranny vehicle?

Most new drivers can handle a 200+ horsepower performance car as their first vehicle, but some can't.. The problem is, it's not always easy to know which side any new driver is gonna wind up being in. Obviously pretty much ALL the new drivers that have crashed their GT (as their first car) would have never admitted being nervous about having a crash,, most new drivers feel quite invincible.. they usually start out ok but in a short amount of time they get overenthusiastic & wind up in trouble.

Better off the start out with a less powerful car in the beginning. As well a cheap car will be less agrivating to deal with when learning to park etc,, you know,, all the little dings a car seems to get with a driver who is new. Why not get a more basic car to learn on if only for a short amount of time? I would think a person would also be more appreciative of a GT if they started out with something more basic. Do you think those rich kids whom daddy buys them a Ferrari for their first car actually appreciate the car? Nope

Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I had a 95 V6 as my first car. It was a good first car but was still way to slow. I would say a 96-98 GT wouldn't be a bad first car at all.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

I'd say it would be ok as long as you respect it and use restraint when someones doggin you to race.
To have a GT as your first car is something special so just be cool with it and learn to take care of it.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
biglou107

this will be my first stick car will it be hard to learn on it? i can drive stick now i just dont have much experirence. also i just need to get the money what would be a good price for a 1996-2000 GT stock or with minor mods?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Well, my 2002 GT is my first car (as in first car I buy on my own). However, I've had experience with an automatic96 Ford Contour for 3 years before.

So, I took my driving lessons 3 years ago with a stick and mymustang is a standard transmission. As far as getting used to the car, it's been relatively easy, considering I havn't driven manual in a long time and also considering that I use the mustang in the winter and we have a lot of snowhere (I live in montreal).

Mustang's aren't hard to drive, in my opinion. However, for a first car for someone who is totally new to driving, I wouldn't recommend it because I really think that someone who has a mustang as a first car really won't appreciate it as he should and also because a V8 is a lot of power for someone who doesn't have a minimum driving experience (2-3 years at least).

I would go with a 1996-2000 GT since theses cars aren't worth as much as a 2000-2004 GT and therefor you can afford to make some small mistakes (dents, etc.) and it won't matter too much. However, if you know that you are a good driver (like me), then I don't see a problem in buying a more recent mustang.

P.S. Don't go with the V6, especially if it's 1996-2000, it's just way too slow and you won't enjoy it like you would with aGT.

Just my 2 cents, I guess it depends mostly on how you drive. Killing yourself in a civic or mustang is always the driver's fault. The only difference is that a mustang won't forgive a driver's mistake as easily as a civic (power wise, you can lose control MUCH faster).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT as a first car?